Private Message rules

RedstonerOther → Private Message rules

Something I’ve been noticing a lot more since the introduction of Mr Soupman (just to be clear this thread isn’t about soup, just some of the rules he has been enforcing more than others, i don’t want yet another soup based shitstorm) onto the staff team is some rather absurd rules being upheld, the ones i’m interested in at the moment are to do with private messages.

Common chat rules include: don’t spam, don’t caps, english please and no links or Ips. I belive all, with the exception of spam, should be allowed in private messages.

English. Pretty sure this one’s already allowed but better safe than sorry, eh? Loads of people on redstoner have a more fluent language than english and would prefer to speak to others using it, as long as the average server member can’t see it, who cares?

No links/IPs. This is going to follow a similar route as the previous one. As long as the link is appropriate and the average server goer can’t see it, who cares? if it’s another servers ip then you could say “they’re leading people away from the server, burn them at the stake!” but if someone really wanted to go on that server they could easily find the ip elsewhere. Obviously is the person didn’t ask for a link then that’s a bit different (relating to spam)

Caps. This one is a bit shaky. This one is probably down to the tone of the message which is down to judgement, so i’ll probably never ve happy with the outcome of this one, but heh, might as well complain. Caps are banned in public chat because it’s annoying, as a result when someone accidentally capitalises a message, which, despite many peoples views, is actually possible :o, they get insta kicked - this is fair. When only one person can see it, then it’s not as bad, especially if it’s in the middle of a conversation. As i said at the beginning of the caps paragraph, i don’t really mind either way with this topic, but all the others need changing if they were ever rules in the first place.

English. Pretty sure this one’s already allowed but better safe than sorry, eh? Loads of people on redstoner have a more fluent language than english and would prefer to speak to others using it, as long as the average server member can’t see it, who cares?

Allowed in PM’s

No links/IPs. This is going to follow a similar route as the previous one. As long as the link is appropriate and the average server goer can’t see it, who cares? if it’s another servers ip then you could say “they’re leading people away from the server, burn them at the stake!” but if someone really wanted to go on that server they could easily find the ip elsewhere. Obviously is the person didn’t ask for a link then that’s a bit different (relating to spam)

Dosent say you can do it in PM’s so I Dont see why It would be!

As for caps I dont insta kick unless its abserd

“LOOOOL” I dont mind Ill just warn “HI EVERYONE I LIKE CHEESE GOT ANY IDEAS FOR MY PLOT??!?!?!??!” I do mind and will usually kick

Dosent say you can do it in PM’s so I Dont see why It would be!

That’s sort of the entire point of this thread, i’m trying to change rules that i think are stupid

As for your argument against caps, if people say things as stupid as:

HI EVERYONE I LIKE CHEESE GOT ANY IDEAS FOR MY PLOT??!?!?!??!

then they must clearly do this a lot… Also, i realise it’s just an example but why would anyone direct a private message to “EVERYONE”

oops, i apparently made a typo in the title, how does one go about changing that (slightly off topic, sorry :p)
You edit the thread paragraph (The one at the top of the page)

OK so in general staff will be much more lenient with what we allow in private messages compared to public chat. If the recipient of a message is unhappy however and complains then we would probably enforce the rules more in line with how we do in public chat. In fact I would generally encourage players to send a private message if they want to discuss a subject that would be deemed unsuitable for public chat. We are aware there have been some occasions where staff have maybe misjudged these decisions lately and we are working together to give you guys a more consistent approach.

Assuming the person you speak to doesn’t complain you should feel confident to use other languages, some caps (don’t spam so much that it might interfere with the staffs ability to see chat) and send each other links and IPs.

Please remember though that these are guidelines and not set in stone, above all use your common sense in these matters as per Rule 1.

Hope this helps.

But @lonwolfhelm surly staff, helpers and others arnt allowd to reply on your private chats.

I was chatting to someone in private chat a few days ago and I was asking them a few questions. But then a helper butts in and starts answering questions that i put to someone else.

I have asked people before (including @armadillo28 ) and they all say that if you are having a private conversation with somebody, staff shouldn’t be able to just butt in. I am ok with the fact that some staff may be listening in and watching private conversations. But they shouldn’t be aloud to just scrape in whenever they feel like it.