Ban appeals

RedstonerCommunity vote → Ban appeals

So i have noticed a lot of people have been getting unbanned for weird reasons. Thinking of this purely un objectively without ones feelings towards a person it is a pretty straight forward thing. When do you appeal ? when you believe you were banned wrongly.

Any ban appeals that appeal for a 100% justified ban should not even be debated, everyone has a choice, whatever they did they chose to do it so they should now deal with the consequences to their actions. Much like a traffic ticket appeal it should only be for when you believe you were wrongfully banned due to a miss understanding or you can provide proof that something had effected you / your account that resulted in a ban of that person. I am not hinting at any way that people that were unbanned should be banned again, i feel its fair to let them be as they are since the decision was already made, but for the future it should definately be a more stricter system.

Do you agree that justified bans should not be debated? Yes/No

People are banned because of something they did. If some one hacked their account and did it then its debateable, but if the person whos account it is did the thing that got them banned should stay banned. I assume your mentioning @SacredRedstone (Alexpaquette1) because he was unbanned recently. If you think back to his ban ot was really just an isolated event. He was a long time member of the server, someone people trusted. And we decided he should join the staff as a moderator. He was a really good one too, quickly getting promoted to admin. The one day out of nowhere he webt crazy abd spammed chat to no end. Sure he acted poorly about the demotion, but i think qnyone would have been upset. It was a one time event which hadnt happened before or since. I think his unbann was justified

But in a more general sense people who were habitualy bad behaved before and after their ban should stay banned. People who made a mistake or went too far one time should be given a second chance.

Well that did bring up my thinking, and im not saying he should be banned, but if you got through ban appeals alot of people were unbanned due to “sorry”
Well i think sorry is more than “sorry”. I thought nk they mean like. I did this thing im not proud of, ive become a better person can we forget about this and give me a second chance
Yeah, I think they should be debatable as there are some cases like SacredRedstone’s where we have been able to forgive them.
It really depends on which person it is for me. If I’ve seen the person actually play on the server and it’s been a while since their ban I’m totally okay with an unban depending on the exact situation, if its more like a new guy doing weird shit I would probably not agree to unban because I don’t trust the person’s intentions. When I’ve seen someone play on the server for multiple weeks I will believe you if you claim that you miss redstoner and you just want to play again and you’ll never do it again. If they do it again, then well, ballz. We have logblock to roll things back and we can ban the player again, next time we don’t unban them. I think this perspective is totally reasonable and I don’t see any problem with recent unbans at all. If we get another loyal player on the server with it then thats a win-win situation.

@dico and @PyjamaL1ama that is exactly the problem, personal feelings that have input on unbanning someone that was fully justifiably banned, creating a very bias envoirment for people that are liked or people that are not. And just as an example, if you murdered someone you wouldn’t say sorry and be let go would you? Might be a bit of an over exaggerated example but taking the worst you can do here and get perma banned is the same deal.

This makes perma banning comepletely useless, why not just tempban people until they “change” …. Again ban appeals should only be for when someone was wrongly banned, not apology letters.

Yes it might be biased but as I trust the player’s intension in writing the ban appeal there’s a lower chance of the player to (intentionally) break the rules again. I don’t see the problem with being biased there, and there are people that I don’t like as much that I also agree with (except for matanvl I can’t agree w/ that ever). If james were to appeal next year by apologising deeply and with good intentions I’d happily see him again on the server because I forgive him and I would like to see if he has matured since. Being disliked or less known on the server - thats bad luck and yes, partially your fault most likely, for good reasons. If noone liked some player very much thats extra reason not to accept their appeal, we want this server’s players to enjoy it. In the end, if a player isn’t liked much, chances are there are more reasons for that than just their personality, and it’s more likely that they will be re-banned soon.
And what if its someone that is just not well known yet. Again personal feelings should not relay into decisions. People need to learn to suffer the consequences of their actions, what good is a ban if saying sorry can get you unbanned.
If you’re not yet known well at time of ban you pretty much went straight into breaking rules, if you do that then yea only unban if proof of innocence is provided, if you are well known you’re a valuable asset to the server and a 1 year ban will suffice for you to learn from your (big) mistakes.
Saying sorry doesn’t just magically make everything OK but I think it is OK to consider peoples appeals and decide on a case to case basis whether to unban. In the case of SacredRedstone however I think the facts that he was once a trusted member and has served a long ban for what he did means he deserves another chance. Think of it as less of an appeal and more of a parole hearing.
He was mod, but i don’t know why you guys are bringing him into this

@PanFritz he was admin, but yea, reading this thread I don’t really see why the other staff members are bringing him up so much. Especially with the @. It’s like they want him to comment on the thread and make it drift away from its purpose.

I’m with you Pan, I don’t think perma-banned folks should be making ban appeals and it being considered.

Also, on Sacred’s case, I’m just wondering how he got an account on the website. Did someone unban his ip to let him log on the server and register? If so, that’s dumb and defies the purpose of a permaban.

I was all for Sacred’s unban, but this is a personal opinion as he is my friend. I don’t think biased opinions about people should matter on such subjects; reason why I didn’t comment on his appeal.

What pan is saying is making a lot of sence, bringing feelings for a person into their ban appeal makes for a bias environment. But i think its fair, if its someone we know and like to hang out with we want to see them again on the server, but someone we dont like we just leave them banned. But bringing our opinion into this shows how close this community is, we know eachother well enough to have an opinion on each person, and that says a lot about redstoner as a whole. It helps to bring a sense of community to the server. A person isn’t defined solely by what they do, but how they act as a person and in the case of sacred he is better than the person we banned a year ago.
Yes and no, I think that people shouldn’t come back and appeal for no reason what so ever super fast, but in @SacredRedstone for example that was a year later so I think he learned his lesson and that’s really what we want. To learn a lesson.
I just thought to myself while just going through ban appeals that they are really fun to read and now I just want people to post the stupidest ban appeals… umm yeah I know I’m a horrible person, truthfully they are funny and I really like to laugh at how dumb people are in example “All I did was just steal 3 diamonds” So I kinda like to read stupid stuff like that since you know it’s really funny and a entertainment factor as they plead their stupid case.

If @sacredredstone is now unbanned then surely many people with cases better then spamming will be unbanned to?

“You can’t free 3 of the murderers and keep the theifs” -somebody.

Lets keep this thread to the topic please
I do agree that staff should not have to deal with people who are banned.
Yes. If someone was justly banned, their appeal later should not be debated.
@Jeg777 It isn’t necroposting as he had something technically relavant to the thread.
I think I agree with Pan, but after like, 2 years, staff should reconsider perm bans, because in 2 years, someone may have matured (slight reference to Buddahsmalls912 there).
I feel permbanned peoples appeals should not be debated; their ban is usually perfectly justified, therefore they do not deserve another chance to be considered, as, like pan said, you appeal when you were banned wrongly.
I think permanent bans should be debatable depending on the user. Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes you just have to forgive. You’re not going to be thrown in jail for life for vandalism, which is pretty similar to griefing. In the end, everything gets rolled back and no harm was done. Yes, the person may have had malicious intent and may have caused inconvenience, but that doesn’t mean their dark side is their only side. Everyone has a fuse. and sometimes it just gets burned down and they go into a rage, taking out their anger on people who don’t deserve it. But does that mean they can’t be kind, does it mean they don’t have a good side? People evaluating ban appeals tend to only look at what was done. In real life, the jury will look at the past criminal record of the person. If they haven’t committed any crimes in the past, they’ll likely get a lighter punishment. I say that it shouldn’t be up to a single admin or mod, but also the community surrounding the incident. Where you argue that the community may be biased towards people they like, I argue that means that they are good people who are liked and contribute to the community. If someone does far more good than bad, I think they deserve a second chance, but they need to learn a lesson from it. If they’re the exact same person they were after the ban as they were before, then they’re likely to break the rules again. If you think about it, all banworthy acts are abuse. Griefing is abuse of the trust of the plot owner. Spam is abuse of the chat. Insulting staff is abuse of the trust everyone has for one another, the trust that everyone will have at least some common ettiquite. No matter how serious the abuse, given enough time, a person can grow beyond the state in which they want to commit such an abuse. Jail is meant to teach a lesson to those who need it and keep people who abuse society away from society. Bans should be the same way. Unless the person is consistently abusing or has commited multiple large abuses, they should be allowed to show that they have learned a lesson from their punishment. After all, that’s what punishments are for.
-1 ━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)
+1 @ViperLordX, very well said. I think we sometimes take the punishments a little too far tbh (not implying that it’s constantly happens, but it does at times)