Let's have a chat about chatspeak.

RedstonerOther → Let's have a chat about chatspeak.

I’ve seen people using unnecessary abbreviations a lot lately, and I’d like to ask you guys to please cut back on them some. Chatspeak is used for texting, where the keys are small and hard to press. This is a semi-formal environment, and frankly I don’t know what half of these abbreviations mean. They’re constantly being made, and it takes a very small amount of time to type out “In my opinion” instead of “imo,” and it reduces confusion. Please, use English as a language instead of turning every single common phrase into an abbreviation. For those of you who code, imagine writing out a simplpe program, then having it compiled and trying to read the compiled code. This is what chatspeak looks like to me. It’s easier to use the words which are actually in the dictionary than reduce them to single letters. It’ll make it easier on everyone.
Listen, some people(not me) Need this because they cant type fast(not me) But i use it for ease of typing. so dont say that please.
teamspeak is not formal lol!
Well how do people expect to get better at typing if they’re typing 3-letter abbreviations instead of full words?
lol imo idk rly plz cya
Why do people always do this? If you ask them to not do something, they begin doing it in excess just to annoy you, and it achieves nothing.

Just giving my two serious cents here:

@ViperLordX you can’t really expect everyone to not use abbreviations, just trying to do that is kinda stupid. Since a big majority of the server uses them, why even bother? I’ve never seen anyone complain except for when I saw this post now.

The thing is that these abbreviations simplify the communications, if you know them well they can decrease response time by a certainly big amount of time (but since you don’t seem to be comfortable in them it takes the same time to write abbreviations as it takes to write the original message). It’s not like we would go in a school test writing in all abbreviations, we know our English and these are just ways to make communicating easier and faster.

It makes it faster, but it makes it less clear. New abbreviations are always popping up, and I never know what they mean. It’s not just that everyone uses them all the time, but nobody will ever tell me what they mean.

This is a very weird request, but I don’t think it makes much of a difference. It’s not to hard too learn what they all mean. Here, this is a guide to the most popular abbreviations.

LOL = Laughing Out Loud ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing LMAO = Laughing My A** Off LMFAO = Laughing My Fat A** Off GTFO = Get The F*** Out STFU = Shut The F*** Up IMO = In My Opinion IMHO = In My Humble Opinion BTW = By The Way BRB = Be Right Back AFK = Away From Keyboard CYA = See Ya FTW = For The Win WTF = What The F*** TMI = Too Much Information JK = Just Kidding WB = Welcome Back IGN = In Game Name TXT = Text ETC = Etcetera PLZ = Please G8 = Great M8 = Mate R8 = Rate FFS = For F***s Sake TTYL = Talk TO You Later UR = Your RLY = Really KK = Ok Cool IDK = I Don’t Know

If this didn’t help you, then I don’t know what will.

My personal favourite: roflmaotimepimp

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off tears in my eyes peeing in my pants.

Oh Xavier you forgot IIRC = If I Recall Correctly WTH = What The Hell GFY = Either ‘Go Fuck Yourself’ or ‘Good For You’
Ok Nyx, thanks for adding those. Now lets hope ViperLordX will know them all and stop complaining. Also, if you see one that is being used a lot that you don’t know, just google.

And Nitryx + Xavier, you forgot these:

IRL = In real life BBL = Be Back Later ROIM = Random One I Made GHP = Go Home Please

Yall forgot JFC.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Yall welcome

I might be a little late to the party but I felt like addressing this:

It’s not just that everyone uses them all the time, but nobody will ever tell me what they mean.

No offense, but that isn’t our problem. If you don’t know about something that seems commonly used by a lot of people (in this case, “chat speak” or internet shorthand) then it’s your responsibility to figure out what it means.

Google exists for this very reason. If people won’t tell you then you can always just look it up yourself.

I agree with @BitByte, not so hard to go to google and type something like: “[abbreviation] meaning” or so.

Also, I’ve noticed that our community does actually answer if you ask something politely e.g “What does “lol” mean?”

VGJ = very good job
I know how Viper feels…