More interactivity between server and website

ArchivesFeature requests → More interactivity between server and website

CLOSED

Is user signed up? Design 1:

Signed up Not signed up

Dot design: This design replaces the arrow in chat with a unfilled/filled circle. It doesn’t increase the size of the message at all and looks quite good

Is user signed up? Design 2:

Signed up 2 Not signed up 2

Block design: This design keeps the good ol' arrow and adds a block in front of the name. In some way this makes it easier to decide between real player messages and plugin/server based messages!

A new rank

I was thinking about our current ranks: The member rank became very valueless since everyone is able to get it by signing up and being online for one or two days. Many people are quite active but don’t build that much - so they won’t become Builder. My idea was to add a new rank between Member and Builder to support the community people, to make the step between Builder and Member a bit larger! The rank requirements should focus on being active and sticking to the rules (gonna come to that point a bit later). The possible colors could be pink, dark green, yellow or violet.

Karma (?)

I’m admin for around 2 months and I definitely miss something like this: A plugin which allows staff members or trusteds to upvote a user if they think he’s incredibly nice, helpful and what so ever. Getting banned or kicked would decrease someone’s rating - this would remind people that they have to stick to the rules (no caps, etc.). So people who write in caps all the time, act immature as hell, etc. wouldn’t get ranked up that fast (this does especially improve the communication between staff and the community). It could also log some data like “when did the user join the first time” or “when was he/she promoted?”.

Edit To make sure the tool won’t be abused, there is no downvote caused by players - only kicking/temp banning causes the karma to decrease. I would suggest that everyone (like the rank i suggested or higher) is able to upvote a user. Upvotes are only possible with a public comment (/karma check ). And yes, asking for upvotes can be punished!

More interactivity between server and website

Since we’re using Ruby, many things are possible. I would definitely like to see ingame notifications about your latest threads (otherwise, if you’re offline, you’ll get a mail) or ingame statistics on a player’s Redstoner profile (last seen, “karma” [see above])

1st birthday

The thread is open! Tell me your opinion and what to change and what to do!

I like the idea of all of these.

Design 1 seems to be the best fit in my opinion, as for a new rank I’m ok with that, the best fit for the color would probably be pink in my opinion, also the karma idea is pretty good, and it would definitely be useful for tracking bad players. Although with a system like that there is the potential that it can be abused (everyone downvoting the same guy at the same time) unless that can be prevented somehow. I suggested some stuff along the lines of connecting ranks up to the web site a while back, I think having more connections between the site and server is kind of important. And who knows maybe we could use the site to set up scheduled events that take place on the server, just giving ideas here of course. There’s a lot of great ideas here, hope to see them implemented later on!

Another suggestion might be to implement an IRC chat between the server and the website, (so players can talk to each other while not being online) this is kind of like what ORE does, if we wanted to we could also have a seperate staff IRC chat room somewhere too.
@Nightshade32 What about making voting down only possible when someone gets kicked/banned. Voting up can also only be done by Trusteds/Helpers/Staff members, etc.

eh idk that seems a bit restrictive, I would say that every player gets only 1 vote per player, and you should be able to vote as a member+ (or whatever the new rank name would be called)

Also additionally staff should be able to set a persons karma in case it got mass downvoted for no reason.

Rather than votes at all, just tally up times /kicked, /tempbanned, and /warned (if added of course) for individual players. It would give staff good ideas of who does what, and for special cases, you can allow trusted and staff to add notes regarding specific incidents. A karma system seems too rigid for minecraft, I would much rather see a database that staff can refer to for resolving issues.
@Mothership_Q Indeed, that’s the basic idea behind this. But staff members should know if people like them (because they help everyone) or not.
I am for the idea of a new rank, however, I do not like the plan of taking survival away from members considering survival currently allows griefing and stealing. I think being able to observe new players in survival could be valuable in deciding on who should be promoted, rather than waiting until they gain this member+ rank only to find out they grief consistently.
what about calling it “reputation” instead of “karma”? sounds too much like reddit otherwise if you ask me xD

The karma idea is great!

• Anybody can vote someone up by going onto their plot and typing something like “/p vote”.
  • You can only vote a player up once.
  • You can only vote on a max of 5 players each day.
  • Depending on your rank, your vote will count for more points. Visitor: 1 Member: 2 Builder: 3 Trusted: 5 Admin: 8
  • Staff should be able to “/votes” or something to view the top 10 voted people.
  • Promotion will remove all votes someone has.
Bump! I like the ideas here, a reputation/karna feature sounds quite useful!
Bring back member+ perhaps?
∆ what she said

Being one of the few people whom have been member+ rank i’d like to say it didn’t feel rewarding at all to get it. Like i was applying for builder and i get member + instead, it kinda felt like, ok he tried to get builder but didn’t get it, this is his mark.

I don’t know maybe call it “User”(I have no idea what to call it) instead of member+, but i think the idea of another rank between member and builder is a good idea. This idea has been discussed before. The jump from visitor to member is an easy one, but member to builder is a lot tougher, perhaps if there was an intermediate ran it wouldn’t feel as difficult to get builder. I don’t know, thats my thoughts.

Not that keen on another rank. Would member+ get world edit? If so they are the same as builder just different colour, if not they are same as member just different colour, feels to me it would just mean more work without really adding anything.

The interactivity between server and forums would be helpful, if it could accurately detect if someone signed up (and confirmed email) and maybe update forum ranks when promotions or demotions are made in-game.

I like the karma idea a lot, would help keep track of what players follow rules and which cause trouble and hopefully give everyone an incentive to be a bit nicer to each other.

I do like the karma, and some sort of connect between server and website, like if someone gets promoted in game then it automatically does so on the website, same if they donated, etc.
Another thing I’ve thought about was a retired badge on the website (like the donor one we currently have). I have mentioned it once or twice before and nothing much has really been said. It seems appropriate in this thread :P

@PyjamaL1ama wait:

shouldnt MIT also be a badge then?

Yeah I see the point in that, but then;

Should it be a colour InGame, instead of a badge?

We already said no to that :P
Oh, ok, guess I have to deal with it xD

Bump

I would love to see something like this implemented, +1

Has this all been, abounded, or had no one just for the chance to work on it.
well, I can’t do stuff like this XD so i’ll leave it up to other ppl
A rank between builder and member sounds like a good idea to me. I don’t know if it’s just me but I feel builder rank is given out too easily now.
@MadCloud101 You just said the exact opposite of the post’s purpose, but ok.