Private messages

WebsiteWebsite feature requests → Private messages

This can be of good use to players who need to send messages to staff or other players when /mail is too restrictive on the server.

[EDIT by pep]: Due to a lot of misunderstandings in how this is supposed to be implemented and how this is going to be implemented I’m adding in a set of strawpolls to clear up what people expect from this so that the implementation can offer the best possible experience for everyone. Please vote on the polls below to make the result as representative as possible!

MintyEdit: I added one more poll

[EDIT by pep (20170618 08:55 UTC)]: Made folders choices more clear.

Polls:

General message behavior:

• Anything you send or receive is a message. Replies to a conversation are also treated as messages.
    • This option results in everything to be treated the same. No matter if the option is marked with messages or replies, everything will be affected.
    • This would work like e.g E-Mails
  • Only the initial message will be treated as a message. Replies to a message are not treated as messages.
    • This option results in things that are marked with messages to be only applied to the first message in a conversation, while things marked with replies will affect everything.
    • This would work like a private forum that only two people can see and interact with.

Editing: ==REPLIES== (Info: This also defines how/when messages can be deleted, if and only if deletion mode “both” is chosen)

• Always allow editing of everything
  • Allow editing until the message was seen by your counterpart
  • Do not allow editing

Deleting: ==REPLIES==

• Deleting a conversation will hide it until someone replies again. Then, all deleted messages of that conversation will be restored
    • When you delete a message that is part of a conversation it will not be restored (only applies if general -> only initial message = message, rest = replies is chosen).
  • Deleting a message will delete it on both ends. Depends on the editing mode chosen:
    • Always allow editing -> Deleting is always available
    • Allow editing until seen -> Deleting is also available until seen
    • No editing -> This option does not make sense in that case
  • Deleting a message will delete it for you but it will remain for the other user unless they delete it themselfs

Folders: ==MESSAGES==

• There shall be no folders, all messages shall just go into your inbox
  • Have a predefined set of folders (e.g. unread, inbox, outgoing, trash can) but NO custom folders
  • Allow the creation of custom folders (will also come with a predefined set but it can be modified as you wish)

Unread messages: ==MESSAGES== (Info: Only messages can be marked as (un-)read. Replies do not affect the new message counter, however a new reply will mark a conversation as unread)

• Allow marking messages as (un-)read by hand
  • Do not allow marking messages as (un-)read by hand
    • No matter which option is chosen here, new messages will always be unread, when you visit them they will be read.

General Communication Type:

• Act in ways voted above
  • Act like SMS/MMS/Slack PM/Skype PM

I probably forgot a shitload of things. If there’s more, feel free to add it in @staff

But… public Slack?
People are lazy to open that up or sign in a second time :shrug:

That, and most people don’t have one, so you’re saying force the person you’re trying to contact to get an account so that they can contact you, when there is a place, where everyone has an account already. Plus people who don’t use slack regularly​ wouldn’t see the msgs.

Edit: Plus no one wants msgs from general and random

@minenash I mean we already force people to sign up here to get ranks so that point is semi-invalid :shrug:
Actually that helps my point, we already force them to sign up here, why are we forcing them to sign up somewhere else. Yes not everyone will, but then a big reason for this request is killed.
10/10 Pj’s 2 word responses
+1 Nyx’x 5 word replies
+1 stopping this chain before it begins
+1 getting back to the goddamn topic of this post -_-
coded, to be implemented in website update (coming soon™)

@Yummy_ I added in the polls I talked about in slack. If I understood anything wrong, feel free to edit the corresponding section/description or create an entirely new poll for it if the options I offer are incomplete/entirely wrong. I’d ask you to keep the old polls for reference though, just update the link and put the old one in a list at the very end of the post. Thanks :)

Everyone else, please consider voting on the polls so that we can get this sorted out!

I hope I voted right… Was a little confusing but I think I voted right ahaha

Well the entirety of what this is supposed to be was pretty confusing to me too, as the implementation didn’t meet my expectations at all -> that’s why I asked yummy to take a look at the polls and adjust them as he thinks is appropriate.

Also, that’s why I didn’t vote on any of the polls to keep my opinion out of this until the end as it might have an impact on how others vote :P

Oh wait, I totally forgot this existed. Sorry for any confusion.
I accidentally selected the wrong option for the folders, but we should have the predifined and custom folders
I added one more poll
I set it to low priority (“accepted”) since I thought this would be an easy project sorta like private forums, but as people apparently want an IM-type feature, I honestly don’t feel like doing it. I can’t promise this will ever be done.