looking to learn more about CPUs

RedstonerBuilding → looking to learn more about CPUs

I have a good understanding of ALUs and other computational logic but I would like to know more about CPUs. I have skype and I just joined. any help or teaching is greatly welcomed, thanks. :)

I have never been good at those…. One skilled person that I know of is @Nemes If you see him online and he’s not busy he could maybe give you the jist of it :)

Welcome to Redstoner by the way xD

If you’re really interested in computational logic, you should search up the minecraft ORE server. Redstoner doesn’t have too much of it. (Don’t tell me this is advertising… don’t go there)

lol @Dico200 with the stuff in the brackets :P

Anyways back to topic, don’t even start searching Minecraft CPU tutorials or Minecraft servers for CPUs, you will learn way more by reading documents about real CPUs. ;) For now try to get some ARM instruction set references to get the basic look of an instruction set and maybe google some basic-ish things like what cache is and why it’s in a CPU and how the CPU interprets instructions (that will be clearer after seeing an instruction set - I really recommend some simple ARMs or microcontrollers). Then there is always Intel’s and AMD’s x86 and x86_64 documentations, but those will probably add up to over 4000 pages with all the extensions, so I recommend not getting into that too deep yet.

If you want some exact links then ask, I can put together a list of things I’ve read through and it helped a lot

@nemes I would like to have some links. I am planning to study computers in the near future

Simple stuff (aka instruction set mainly):

Atmega (page 427)

Modern x86 CPUs:

x86 software dev manual x86 instruction set reference (I have one downloaded that also contains volume 2D, can’t find it right now - don’t worry too much, it only got expanded to over 1800 pages) basic x86 architecture reference x86_64 from AMDs docs volume 1 and volume 2

Some tiny intro to GPUs:

GPU Architecture intro OpenCL intro

And of course, knowing how an OS/kernel works also helps:

OSdev

@nemes woah I have no idea what AVVDs are or anything of what you linked. Could I start at something more basic XD
@MadCloud101 most of the stuff are basic things, just with fancy names. :P And this is what I started with, I dont have anything more basic…