Toggle-able chat filter

ArchivesFeature requests → Toggle-able chat filter

CLOSED

I know this issue is kind of redundant but it is still is a bit of a problem, while I am aware swearing is allowed, I think it’s necessary we add some form of measure to block it for our players who either are very young or don’t want to see the chat have a bunch of swear words in it. And I’m pretty sure the swearing is what causes some newer players to leave to some extent. To fix this issue I suggest we add a toggle-able chat filter that will block out swear words and other offensive chat messages, but only if the user wants it. This will solve the issue that some players might experience, yet still not affect other members who have no problem with swearing. A good example of such a server that uses this system would be the overcast network, and I’d say it works pretty well for them, and I think Redstoner could benefit from having a system like this as well.
I think we should hear other people’s opinions on this before we turn down the idea, if it would help, it could be on by default and we could notify the player on login how to turn it off if they choose to disable it, also what if there was a feature that allowed staff to add words to the library to block?
Also the way overcast does it is they don’t send the msg at all if the msg contains anything offensive in it, although it might be better to turn the whole word into * instead of a single character rather than do it the way they do
As for the issue of new players not being aware of the filter, we could have the filter on by default, and have a command (/filter or something) to toggle. This way, by default, chat is filtered, but can be disabled if you wish. This is the system Mineplex also uses.

It seems like a difficult feature to implement with a very small return for users. People need to be aware of what happens online, and like sheep said, if they can’t cope with that, maybe MP isn’t for them quite yet.

I would like to think that most of our regular players are mature enough to keep themselves in line and not swear like sailors.

Yes, a lot of our players are mature, I can agree to that. Although I can’t really say this type of thing would be hard to implement either, I asked piggly about it a couple days ago and he seemed to like the idea and said it shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

At the very least, we should maybe change the swearing is allowed/tolerated rule to something like swearing is discouraged but is permitted.

Of course since this is a rather controversial idea, it might be best to also take in the opinions of the players and if they would use it or not.