(Not) Updating to MineCraft 1.9 or 1.10

RedstonerCommunity vote → (Not) Updating to MineCraft 1.9 or 1.10

SOLVED

Hey Redstoners,

As all of you know, MineCraft 1.9 is around the corner (it will release tomorrow). EDIT: It’s out And I’m not the only one to hate this update, and I think we should have a vote, about updating or not. because I remember that updating to 1.8 was a nightmare, but why update to 1.9? This update adds nothing useful and I think staff might agree that it might not even be worth the effort to update, MineCraft 1.8 is fine as it is in my opinion. In my opinion we should, atleast for now, not update to 1.9.

Edit: Is 1.10 stable?

Vote anti 1.9 campaign!

I vote no to 1.9.x unless the x is in place to remove the new PvP stuff.

Yesterday Searge posted on Twitter that 1.9 will be released on the 29th. That might have changed, but I just wanted to let you know.

Also, could we play on a 1.8 server in 1.9? I remember not being able to play on the Nexus in 1.8 because it was a 1.7.10 server.

@ShyGuy1265 I don’t really know, if that’s the case I’ll update the post, it’s not the entire topic of this post so it’s not all too important, in my opinion they can wait a couple more centuries with their combat update.
I don’t think 1.9 is a bad update at all. I’m not too big of a fan of the combat changes myself, but I’m not a huge pvp player anyway, so it doesn’t really matter to me. And it doesn’t matter too much for the server either I think, because most people do creative anyway. But other than that, 1.9 does bring some interesting mechanics to the game, which might make it worth to update. A big reason to update (I believe) is that redstone builds should be up-to-date. In my opinion, if you’re gonna design a farm, piston door, or any redstone creation, it should be relevant, and thus work in the current release version of the game. No one is going to be intersted in a redstone build designed for 1.7, as there are chances this build will not work in 1.8, and the majority of Minecraft players is playing 1.8. The same goes for 1.9. The majority of Minecraft players will update to 1.9, which means redstone builds are most relevant if they are created in 1.9. The one big problem I have with 1.9 is that there are a few nasty redstone bugs, but 1.8 still has a number of annoying bugs as well, so I don’t see that as a reason not to update. Everyone is playing and enjoying 1.8 even though there are bugs concerning redstone that broke many redstone builds (many could be fixed, but it’s still anoying), so I don’t think 1.9 will be different. Of course, if there are other reasons not to update, like performance issuis etc., it might be a good idea to wait untill those are fixed, but I think we should upgrade to 1.9 after it’s released (and Spigot has updated as well, of course).
@SpaceCuberMC Please note that almost every single update redstone mechanics are changed, and thus usually those mechanics will break what we’ve already made in 1.8.
I’m against updating. That’s it really.

Why, why do you think this is a bad update? I can’t understand this. 1.9 Will be adding things to the game which will be immensely beneficial to redstoning and general playing of Minecraft.

Pvp will not, i repeat will not be changed, the old spam click to win mechanics are not gone you can still use those they aren’t going away. Every update (ever?) has come with new redstone bugs, that never stopped anyone from updating before, even 1.5 the dreaded redstone update, once you got used to it it was fine, better even. Do i need say why elytra will be awesome, i don’t think so.

updating to 1.8 was a nightmare, but why update to 1.9?

That was because Bukkit was discontinued so we had to wait longer for something to replace it. 1.9 Shouldn’t be as big of a pain as 1.8.

That thing with redstone blocks were they act like repeaters is no more, Mojang removed it.

Again like SpaceCuberMC said. Redstone depends on people being able to use it in the latest version of MC as thats what a large majority of people will use. Same goes for plugins, they will all be updated for 1.9 and none will be released for 1.8 anymore.

Other than PvP changes and (possible) Redstone bugs, why else is 1.9 bad. People just seem to hate it without any good reason. Can I get a clear answer?

Against. Updating will make it impossible to use mods, will make Hyperchat AND minechat useless. It will also manage to fuck up redstone and the combat system.

Until they add pistons to Pocket edition, I’m not updating anything with Mojang™ on it.

To be honest, what is wrong with updating to 1.9? This server is not a PVP server.

The ‘Redstone block bugs’ has been fixed due to many complaints.

I like the two-handed feature. It makes building quicker.

Elycra could technically replace hax clients (In some ways).

Apart from all my Forge mods becoming unusable and recourse packs becoming unusable, I would like an update.

Minechat Hyperchat and whatever other chat, will all update with minecraft. So will your mods, just not right away. So what, restoner won’t be 1.9 the day the release comes out either.
Update to 1.9: ==No==

Nop, fuck no, no more 1.9.. Itll ruin like almost every single redstone door, and most people engineer doors.. you might say “then why wont you just make other things?”, some peoples have different skills and besides, some CPU’s might break, so a no from me

(Happy @Doomblah ?)

I think the server will ever need to go to 1.9. right? Otherwise it’s like we are running a 1.5.2 server while 1.7 has already came out.
Again with the “Nop, fuck no, no more 1.9” without any reason
It’s funny how everyone who doesn’t want to update doesn’t give a clear and/or good reason as to why they think that…

Well to be honest, I don’t see a single reason we (as a redstone server) shouldn’t update to 1.9. If you think its bad, which a lot of you seem to think, elaborate on it… saying no doesn’t help anyone; saying that for example the redstone wire hitboxes bother you, well that can be fixed with a fairly simple modification.

As to playing on a 1.8 server with a 1.9 client, it should be do-able if we make some changes to the server-side of it (reject 1.9 block placements and such)

All in all it boils down to what the people want, if they majority doesn’t want 1.9, then we’re staying on 1.8

It’s the community that decides^1, not the staff

^1 mostly
I think we should just update and see how bad it is xD I already see everyone fly around spawn with elytras hahaha
Change is the law of life. Those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
@HackerAttacker black ops 1 for the win! also, no ty

Updating to 1.8 was mainly a nightmare due to the UUID changes and PlotMe having redone a lot of things, leaving many bugs we had to fix ourselves. As far as I see: That’s the only real reason you’re proposing not to update. I am not an update expert and I am not the updater, but I’m pretty sure that updating to 1.9 is unlikely to be as much of a hassle as it was to update to 1.8. ( @jomo for reference?)

I think, and we never really gave you the choice really, that we should just update as normal. Keep up to date with spigot. If problems with updating plugins do arise, I will better be able to assist @jomo in the process this year.

I don’t know of any new redstone bugs in 1.9 (I don’t know anything about 1.9 really). But I do keep up with the bug tracker pretty well, and I believe that there’s some interesting stuff added. For example, you might be able to put redstone dust and repeaters on top of pistons in 1.9 (but I think they break when they extend/retract). At least, as @Hardfg5000 mentioned, redstone blocks work as normal. Apparently there’s a 2 handed feature which I don’t know about too and it sounds interesting.

In addition, we are indeed NOT a PvP server. We do not care AT ALL about the PvP changes in 1.9, which is the main point of 1.9. So we will keep up to date with spigot as there shouldn’t be a big difference, and you won’t need 1.8 to join the server.

With the above mentioned points in mind, I will close and lock this thread. closed, locked

Edit @Doomblah this thread was locked, don’t have to reply unless it’s important.

Edit unlocked.

Yes definitely. I don’t understand why people think 1.9 is terrible and it will ruin everything. Also, I really think we should stay up to date with everything, because I don’t like the thought of a bunch of 1.9 stuff happening all throughout the Minecraft community while being on a 1.8 server. If we stay in 1.8, we would probably want to update after a little while.
1.9 wont ruin anything, just like 1.8 didnt ruin anything, just like every update ever never ruined anything.
Yes. As far as I know the only major change to redstone was that quick piston retraction was removed (that’s the thing that retracts double piston extenders instantly). I am a bit mad, but we don’t even know if it will be added again or not since it was always an intended feature. The fact that redstone blocks work as a comparator’s secondary input is really stupid, but you can’t really complain can you. As for Elytras ruining the server, we could always just prevent you from putting them on.
Absolutely all for it: as far as I’m concerned there’s no reason Redstoner shouldn’t update. It adds a few new redstone features and fixed some bugs that would simply outdate any redstone built on 1.8. Remember, whether you like it or not, the majority of players will be playing on 1.9 and so i very much doubt 1.8 builds that don’t work in 1.9 will be accepted for much longer (in the same way no one gives a shit if you make something new that doesn’t work in 1.8.) Nevertheless, as long as one of Redstoner’s rivals does the opposite to what we do that’ll keep everyone happy(er) :p.
I personaly would not take the risk, as most builds on this server are suited for 1.8 already. So, a personal NO from me.
Ok, everyone. Why don’t we look at this logically? Redstoner, obviously, is a redstone server. 1.9 does little to nothing that affects redstone, and you can completely ignore almost everything in it if you so desire. 1.9 is deemed the PvP update, and there is pretty much nothing on our server which revolves around PvP. 1.9 also comes with a whole slew of cool features which may be useful when building redstone things, like dualwielding. It also has fun things like the Elytra, which could be used in minigames that some people like to create on their plots. If you don’t like 1.9, nobody’s forcing you to interact with its features. You can just ignore all of it if you want to. So even if you dislike 1.9, not updating our server would mean that we would be behind a version. And honestly, how many of you regularly look for and join 1.7 servers that aren’t modded? People don’t want to join outdated servers. If we don’t keep our server up to date, a lot less people will be joining, and we’ll be saying “Welcome!” a lot less. Then people will start to find servers that are updated and quit Redstoner, and we won’t have a very large active player base anymore. To be honest, none of us are going to play Redstoner for our whole lives, and if we want the server to stay alive, we should probably update within a month of 1.9 (or any major update) being released. Of course, this is just my opinion, feel free to counter it, but know that if you do you will get into a debate with me.

I don’t see why not. It’s always a challenge when updating, but it’s those things that cause records to be broken and all and frustration and success and joy that happened when 1.4 updated to 1.5 aka the redstone update that borke SO many things. If this update borkes things, then people will get over it. Stability is my only concern since it is only the pre-release, not the full release and obviously they have bugs to fix. If the update will crash the server and ruin player experience, then a big no-no, if not, then, what are we waiting for?

NOTE: I like doing argumentative essays. This was good practice. Now let’s see it work!

yEAH -C2L

###Yes, we should update

1. If the server doesn’t update to 1.9, it might not for 1.10, and when we finally do, it’ll just be way too many things breaking all at once
  2. This is still partly a survival server, and stuff like elytra and the expanded end will be fun.
  3. It’ll be a good chance to reset SV if we actually do.
I think it’s clear that most people have the same opinion as me. Sorry for locking earlier. We’ll update when we (aka jomo) think it’s the right time to. That is, when we can avoid major bugs (and when spigot releases a 1.9 version, obviously).

We should update

1. It would be better to update survival only if that’s possible.

2. Minecraft 1.9 isn’t that bad. It has lot’s of fun stuff added.

3. Even though we have to wait for spigot to update. We should wait for Optifine to update to 1.9 So there is less lag (ALOT Of people lag in peoples plots).

Mhm after i tried 1.9, the release isnt so bad at all! So yes update maybe..
I would like to point out that, for reference, 1.9 is a lot laggier. I crash every 5 mins, and I have quite an expensive computer; it is completely unplayable.
Barrygold_ Just because you seem to crash every now and then doesn’t mean that everyone does. Mojang wouldn’t release 1.9 if it weren’t stable. So either you have really bad luck and there is a bug that only effects you, or there is something wrong with your drivers/windows/etc..

I think 1.9 is pretty cool although many people lag like hell. We should wait for a more stable build and then see if it’s worth it. By the way, Spigot does NOT have a good build yet. Most of the plugins will probably die. So I am supporting 1.9 although I think it’s just better to wait and see what’s coming.

greetings -Sheep

Ok I guess it’s time for me to put something in to this as well…

As of the features side of things: I have no fucking clue. I’m only watching one or two minecraft vid’s per week depending on how much our all time favourite slab uploads (ethos’lab :P) so I don’t really know what changes. From what I can tell it doesn’t really effect us that much tho exceot for survival which not many play anyways sooo from this PoV I’m fine with it.

As of stability: As far as I can tell it runs fine for me but that might differ for everyone. Some people are complaining about major performance/stability issues. Till that’s sorted out I don’t want to update therefor I’d rather wait two weeks too long than two weeks too few.

As of spigot: There IS a release for 1.9 but once more I want to question stability and performance. I have not tested it yet but I got time tomorrow, I’ll finally get new pend for my whiteboard so I can get shit done again and tackle that topic :P Additionally I think it’s just a protocol update as of today?

As of plugins: This will probably be the worst part because we have to do it :P Stuff wants to be tested with 1.9. There should not be too much changing because no server functionalities were changed really but spigot can always change method names and we need to deal with the new items and mobs; Maybe they are causing trouble maybe not. We’ll see. It will definitly take a few more days before we can even update spigot and plugin ways tho.

TL;DR: I’m fine with updating but the server/plugin side of things is not yet. We’ll see again in a few days :)

Greetings

~Pepich~

Update: Synergy has updated to 1.9, not that bad… I guess…

Just to expand on what @Pepich1851 said about stability and performance of 1.9. I have myself started a local 1.9 server + client logged in and left it run in the background, what I can say is constant CPU usage spikes all the way to 2 cores at 100 % (seems like thats caused by the new AI of some mobs - not that big of a problem for us, but we still have to keep in mind that there IS a survival world).

About memory, well, after 8 hours of runtime, during which I had to restart the client several times, the server grew from ==5.6 GB up to 7.3 GB== of memory usage (given it has 13 worlds loaded - I had to compile multiverse myself and it still is listed as broken).

Just to note, the client was running on a separate computer.

Beside CPU and memory usage being more than it should be, there are also some bugs in vanilla 1.9, plugin coders are now at the stage of “get our plugin to work somehow and worry about fixing bugs later”, so plugins will contain quite a few bugs too.

All in all 1.9 is ==NOT== stable enough for servers yet, let alone the plugins (talking about all plugins, not just redstoner-utils).

For the techy people out there, server machine was my desktop (i5-4460, 24 GB of RAM) and the client was my laptop (i3-2350M, 4 GB of RAM), server running Linux Fedora 22 and client dualbooting Windows 7 and Fedora 22 (I tried the client in both, didn’t help), as for Java, both computers are running openJDK 1.8 (Minecraft only seems to download its own Java runtime on Windows).

I myself would also like to confirm some issues with 1.9, I don’t know what’s up with it, but on a survival server I play on the chunks I’m in sometimes randomly unload, and I can’t seem to get more then 30 fps, but that might be my very, very weak CPU. And Also @Nemes we have 2 survival worlds.

@CookieRedstone 2 survivals, 6 survival worlds (you have to count end and nether as separate thanks to Multiverse :P)

==EDIT:==

And as for the FPS, I get 250 ish FPS in 1.8 but cant get more than 25 in 1.9, I bet its Mojang not knowing how OpenGL works…

And I believe there are also quite a ton of mobs in the regular tr world.
I don’t really care about the update because it’s just an update for PVP, and this server is mainly for redstone, but people can still PVP, but just rarely. Eh, idc
I agree with DoomBlah. I want this server to update to 1.9 because I will be using 1.9 and I don’t want to switch back to 1.8.9 to come on this server.
What @TrizingGamer said. That right there
I think we should downgrade to Alpha and play with dust and torches again and make 64-bit computers. #AlphaWillRiseAgain
Well, I want redstoner to stay in 1.8 so I dont need to switch to 1.9 every time.
Please update to 1.9 so I can see what doors are broken and need to be fixed :P

mfw mato doesn’t actually fix any of his doors

please…. people take a look at this
  1. The update is not that bad, some bugs got fixed. Heh, even fixing the glitchy instant dpe makes sense.
  2. In a couple of months most server will have updated to 1.9. Redstoner will be updated no matter what because new guests don’t want to go on outdated servers.
  3. 1.9 has some new bugs in it. What are you waiting to post and vote them in the bug tracker instead of complaining about them?!
  4. The controversial comparator change may break some of our inventions but it also creates new cool mechanics.
  5. You have fps issues in the new update? Maybe it’s because you have mods that are not yet optimized for 1.9. Vanilla minecraft runs fine for me.
  6. Sorry for my shitty english.

@Matoseb Just want to point out number 5, most people, including me (no mods, nothing) have reported FPS issues. I did some more testing and its connected with the fact <technical> Minecraft is slowly moving onto newer OpenGL versions (which also means dropping support for old devices) and it seems like Mojang doesn’t exactly use the things efficiently… at all… </technical>. Long story short, maybe when 1.9.1 comes out and mojang fixes most of the issues everything will be good. wait, this is Mojang we’re talking about…

Anyways some more technical investigation reveals that most of the game update time on the client is spent rendering (duh, its a client, what else would it do?!), but its considerably more than it “should” be and from some testing with spheres and caves I pinned it down to 3 theoretical issues:

• Someone “optimized” the cave-culling algorithm originally invented for MC:PE (More info here)
  • Unlikely but possible, color blending is messing up and slowing down (keep in mind to get proper color blending of glass and stuff it has to sort ALL the blocks into a single render queue based on transparency+color)
  • IMO the most likely candidate is chunk-occlusion testing, remember how Minecraft is segmented into chunks of 16x16x16? Yeah, that has a good reason, Minecraft doesn’t redraw all of them, it only redraws the ones needed, it may be that someone “optimized” this once again and its redrawing everything (or almost everything).
What new mechanics Matoseb?
Hevent you heard about the bugs and how horrible the performance is i cant even cap 60fps when i usually run about 200fps
Also, ask @AttanabilRS about his 6x6 glass door, the mechanic he used in that door is now borken. And that happens to be a mechanic I use very often too.
Cookie link me too,i made it with him since my INGAMEname is aceblade9 ,_, and yes it seems that now the pulse isnt long enough to let the piston pusher retract down fast enough in 1.9
When i startup my server with plotme i get tons of errors for it and it eventually crashes my server so i understand not updating to 1.9

^ This might be quite important to note. (As always, PlotMe does a shit job at dealing with updating the plugin properly)

@Meowcat285 Say, what plugins do you use?

Alsoo guys on synergy i found out at 1.9 sands can break a lot easier at spigot, so be careful x(
@MikeyMatic Actually the sand bug is not related to spigot but to 1.9 vanilla.
Im not sure @Matoseb , i tried one of my creation in singleplayer it works but on spigot it doesn’t, and the problem was sand breaking easier on 1.9 spigot, @zombachu confirmed :v

@MikeyMatic @Matoseb

The sand “bug” is caused by Spigot intentionally breaking sand to avoid a vanilla bug. So both of you are right, technically.

Wait…. Sand is broken? No update, please. :<

Sand breaks on spigot 1.9 on very specific timings. I’m guessing it breaks 2% of all redstone creations that use sand, and like 60% of sand doors and sand door-like things (portcullises that use sand come to mind).

It’s up to you guys to vote on whether that’s acceptable or not, I’m just here to provide more insight.

i agree with @Doomblah we should upgrade to 1.9 redstone will be thinner so you can reach the dispensers underneath and we can do cool stuff with the elytra

Actually guys, 1.9 update focused on the survival side and as seen in some of xisuma’s 25 facts about 1.9-1.9.2, i can see it has a lot of positive things other than the pvp update

Buut i don’t think we’re ready for 1.9 since some things might break at creative
(And to support this criticism, most peoples make redstone things at creative plotworld, and some really useful features got fucked up cough)

In the other hand, theres the new elytra things which is VERY rare, and for those who is pretty greedy at survival, they might steal the elytras and therefore more stealing cases

But theres one more positive at all those challenge lovers, which is try to make something with the new 1.9 mechanics (neutral on this one tbh)

Oh and some 1.9 things might make survival a bit more fun tbh and if survival becomes fun, it will become a great community, creative will be a LOT more better for all those house builders and all those builders who makes somehing based on the theme given (me for example xD). Basically if i can say my opinion is neutral for updating to 1.9 as you seemed to read my whole reply ^(longest reply i ever made, yay)

^(if its possible, make so that we can play 1.8 creative and 1.9 survival, that would be a LOT more fun :D)

@MikeyMatic That 1.8 cr and 1.9 sv is called bungeecord and we do not have bungeecord :)
if that was possible doe, would be amazing xD
xD It would be perfect
lol still no, even more so now
Not sure what you mean when you say “performance problems from 1 minute of gameplay” since I’m not advanced on the coding/optimizing side of Minecraft, but I have experienced zero performance problems. Looking at this from a regular player stand point, I find it particularly annoying having to constantly reloading my Minecraft launcher and switching my version to be able to play on other servers. This especially pertains to Redstoner. It’s been in 1.8 for quite a long time, being 2 versions behind the current of Minecraft. Now I’m not saying it’s easy to update a server to another version, but it’s been a while since Redstoner saw a version update. Take this as you will, this is just my two cents.
We should update quickly :) I don’t take the 2 versions behind thing very seriously because 1.10 came out ridiculously quickly.
Would the server be updated to 1.9 or 1.10?
I would love to have elytras and an updated survival world :3
If or when we update, I would go for 1.10, since most people play either 1.8 or 1.10 now
Yeah, if we are updating it will probably be 1.10 I hope. It has polar bears and new mobs which should be a lot of fun :3

@LogalCoder Not sure what method of testing you use, but I get the exact same FPS in pretty much every version of Minecraft. Maybe I’m the only person in existence that has this type of performance across every version, or maybe I’m just retarded, but I also have the same RAM and CPU usage across all platforms as well. Again, maybe I’m just retarded, but from my “testing” I don’t see any performance issues at all.

Just for proof, here are screenshots of my average FPS in newly generated worlds across 1.8.9, 1.9.4, and 1.10

1.8.9 alt text

1.9.4 alt text

1.10 alt text

Again, maybe I’m just retarded. But I don’t see any noticeable dips in performance, increase in RAM or CPU usage, or generally unplayable framerates.

While in bigger servers I have a noticeable drop in frames at least in 1.9(1.10 not tested) but on a small server, I get 100 fps.
1.9 and above have issues with performance mostly in form of tickspeeds like xbox has had for a while now.

@LogalCoder My computer specifications are as follow:

CPU: Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 Ghz GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 RAM: 32 GB of DDR4 2133 Ghz

Everything else isn’t very relevant for this specific purpose.

Did I just hear Intel HD graphics?

Damn I’m not the only one

i honestly wouldn’t miss any of the current updates, the only things i will miss are the new block-like mob

but whatever happens i think we can all agree the server should never move to the windows 10 / c++ version of minecraft, so much stuff has been removed from that version its not even funny

I actually tried out the windows10 edition today, and was shocked to find that you can no longer use 1-tick pulses to make sticky pistons spit out the block… If this is the future of minecraft, I will literally cry.
@SpaceCuberMC Might be even worse than that, check out the latest video of cubehamster. :(
If that becomes a thing, I think boycotting MC windows 10 is not a bad idea actually.

Did i just hear from dico updating to 1.10?

FUCK NO PLEASE DICO PLEASE I CANT LOGIN TO SERVERS USING 1.10 I ALWAYS CRASH :C I TRIED ON SYNERGY AND IT FUCKS UP EVEN AFTER reinstalling burp

Extra things : I havent tested other servers, so wait for updates on my reply

ViaVersion IS installed!!!! (You can now join on 1.8 1.9 and 1.10 (1.8 redstone mechanics)). Here’s the first 1.10 shaders picture of redstoner :DDD 1.10

Ermahgerd 1.10 nevar works, 1.8/1.9 heeerree weee guuu

But my account be borke

@Mr_RedSheep @LogalCoder Probably because it’s standard; It happend from 1.7 to 1.8 aswell, just a thought tho.