Issue with having `/clear` on serversigns

RedstonerCommunity vote → Issue with having `/clear` on serversigns

I had a discussion with @Nemes and @Pepich1851 about an issue with allowing /clear on serversigns. If you do not yet know what serversigns are, I suggest you go and check out this post. /clear is currently not yet whitelisted, but we are considering adding it. Hence this post.

The problem is the following: Serversigns can have any whitelisted command on them without you knowing before you click it. Thus, if we add /clear to whitelisted commands, serversigns might clear your inventory when you click one. Clearing your inventory is quite essential when you want to make a sign that gives you a specific set of items, personalized to your choices. Of course it’s not a big deal to clear your inventory before hand, but we think this is more convenient to be able to do.

But we also believe that it might be a big deal that some signs will randomly clear your (creative) inventory. We have come up with two solutions to tackle this problem. Please read both of them and vote for your preferred solution. If you can, argue why you think it is better, or if you think you have a better one, specify it. But do not write useless comments please.

• Make any sign with the /clear command on it warn you with a message such as Warning! This sign will run /clear. Click it again if you want to continue., which, as the message says, requires you to click it a second time. If we do implement this, signs that you claimed yourself will always be trusted, and there will be an option to disable these prompts completely for each user. This might become annoying if you use a sign (that someone else made) very often, for example to fill your inventory with items that you like, all the while not really wanting to disable the prompt.

• Force a line of text on the sign that warns the user of this command, which clears your inventory. The plugin would take care of adding this line automatically when you add the command. An example of this would be a prefixed word Clear, with colours, on the bottom line of it. This would allow players up to 3 lines to put their own custom text on a sign that runs /clear, instead of the usual 4, so you lose 15 characters (15 characters fit on each line of a sign usually). The reason this might be preferred is because you won’t have to confirm using a sign you use often every time.

• Suggestion by @Pepich1851: Not whitelisting /clear for serversigns, so the command can not be put on them.

Note: If you have a solution of your own, please mention it, but be specific and thorough. We do not plan to implement very complicated solutions due to the amount of coding work and the likely small amount of usage. For example, adding a command to trust specific signs is too complicated in our opinions, we would have to store this for every user and the likelihood that a given player will use it is very low.

I got a solution :) Do not add /clear to the whitelist.

Greetings

~Pepich~

2nd Soulution, beacuse 1 line does not matter way to much, in my option not with server signs.
Second solution for me as well
I personally think option 1 is better, since the signs will look cleaner.
Suggestion: You could add /svs inspect which will tell you the command the sign will run.
svs info is a thing. I don’t want to have to check each and every single sign before using it. I’d rather just stop clicking signs completely. I just got too much stuff that you can’t actually get (anymore) that I don’t want to loose. I still don’t see any reason why you would need /clear on a sign anyways. This is a creative server. If you make a minigame and people want to cheat they can just go into gmc and take the items they want after you cleared their inventory. The only reason I see why this would be neat is to troll people by randomly putting /clear on signs. It’s a command that comes with potential harm. This entire discussion would not even be nessecary if it wasn’t meant to be added. Give me a few cases where you really need it (and no, trolling is not valid and “because I want them to play with only these items is not either. This is a creative server. Ppl can cheat anyways).

I personally prefer getting some kind of warning message. Misclicking can sometimes be a problem. I find that I like to use all four lines of signs, so I don’t like limiting it to three by overriding the last line.

<tangent> Implementing some kind of optional warning system for any command would be nice too. For example, it could be useful to put a warning for /tppos. </tangent>

@Flying_Machinez the reason why I think the lost line is no big deal is because clicking the sign would also potentially be configured to show you a message in chat.
Which, to see, requires you to empty your inventory. Aka potentially it’s not gonne be viewed
How do I rank up to builder or higher?
IMO the first option is the best