My computer issues.

Off topicOther → My computer issues.

I posted this elsewhere and I decided to post it to redstoner so you know what I am going through

On Saturday, my computer’s fan just.. failed. The fan needs to be replaced and we took it to the store. On the fan, the motor works fine but the blade is not spinning with it. It eventually went horrible as the fan make a loud screeching sound and produced smoke! It has been taken in for 1 or two weeks. The only issue is that I could lose data including a massive collection Of Operating Systems (Windows 7 etc.) This collection is over 300GB and has been a project since April 2016. Losing all of this would be heartbreaking; All of the time (over 5 hours on certain OS’s) would be wasted. They shouldn’t remove the data as it is only the fan that is the problem, Windows 10 is working fine. People on the redstoner forums suggested switching to Linux but I refused. Linux is not for me because of compatibility issues (Linux does have Wine but it is not efficient enough for me (I’ve tested it before)). Please wish me luck that the fix will only take a week and that I’ll lose no data. This half term has been crappy (to take it blunty) because my internet was also down for 2 weeks and without internet, I feel depressed. I am typing this on a craptop (what redstoner called bad laptops) and it barely runs BeamNG. drive (my favourite game) and crashes when battery gets low. I don’t understand why I have to live through this pain and my brother doesn’t. He has the same computer than me but he doesn’t keep it on all night. Better blame Sky (Slow download speeds when growing the OS collection). I am not too lucky to be honest. :/ Thank you for deeeeeeeedocating (redstoner pun) some time to read this over -H5

@LogalCoder

Why the fuck would you loose data on a fan replacement? Either they are horrible with taking care of drives and just drop them daily, or they just want to replace your drive because “It’s the source of the problem.”

I honestly don’t know. They did say they will wipe the harddrive if there was a software issue. The companys fixing the fan (Currys & PcWorld and ASUS) are significant and they should know that replacing a fan doesn’t require a harddrive wipe.

This is why we keep backups, in case something where you could loose data comes up, you can recover.

I have no space to store my OS collection; I have no spare harddrives in my house.

My recommendation is if in the future you get a problem you know the hard drive is unrelated with, take it out before sending it to the shop. That way, you know you’re data is safe.

Before the visit, I didn’t know how to even open my computer up and if I did know, I wouldn’t know what screws to take out.

Alright. I have two rants.

Rant away (don’t abuse the ability though), it is not (really) my fault. There was a manufacturing mistake when I got it.

here’s how to fix this: don’t use windows 10 use common sense get fedora.
Yeah mate good luck but consider urself lucky that you have a decent pc cuz i play mc on a craptop
I’m pretty sure I already saw the clone of this post, you said you fixed it and @psrcek wanted you to dualboot, something to so with Zorin OS