Hexaflow 3D Printer

Off topicElectronics → Hexaflow 3D Printer

SHOWCASE

==Edit==: Since barely anyone is giving tips or wanting to help, I am going to turn this thread into a rather detailed log about planning, designing and building this printer.

Please note: This forum will be constantly updated over the course of 2016-2017.

My printer will be completely custom, with unique features and as good affordability as possible. Of course, the design isn’t COMPLETELY from scratch, its just the frame and features of it. It is modeled after the Kossel 3D printer by Johann for compatibility on most of the parts. Unlike all other 3D printers, this one will have a hexagonal frame(2 hexagon beam formation for the bottom, 1 for the top). However, as it is modeled after the Kossel, it has three (not six) vertical OpenBeam pillars (because I’m broke).

Bill of Materials: -Bed Material -Aluminium, 300mm diameter (unknown cost) -Heated bed -330mm silicon bed, 30$ -SSR, 5$ -Frame -3x 1980mm 2020 B-type aluminium extrusions, 52$ (incl vat and shipping) -Filament -Control board -MKS-SBASE 1.2, 54$ -Power Supply -12v 15a, 16$ -Linear Movement -Nylon Plastic wheels 10pcs, 6$ -10m belt and pulley equipment, 16$ -Motors -5pcs Stepper motor, 86oz/in, 70$ -Extruder -Mk7 drive gear, 2$ -608 idler bearing, 3$ for 10pcs -Hotend -e3d v6, 60$ -Diagonal Rods -1m x 4mm ID x 6mm OD, 26$ for 3 lengths, excl VAT -Rod ends, 13$ for 12 pcs -Mental note: http://bigplanes.nl/contents/en-uk/d159_Kogelgewrichten.html -Endstops -3x enstop switches, 3$ -Printed Parts -ABS 2020 Kossel parts on Ebay, 26$ -Extras -Proximity sensor, 3.5$ -Teflon tube, 5$ for 5m -Blower fan, 3pcs for 6.50$

TOTAL: 396$ = 370 Euros. To be completed…

@LogalCoder The cons to it is that it could also expand and probably bend (throwing off calibration). However, its very strong and will last a long time (possibly) if serviced properly.

As for glass, it is ALWAYS flat due to the way its made, however its fragile af.

Also a question to all, how would I calibrate the machine if I used a 600mm rod instead of 500mm? In fact, how do you calibrate the thing anyways xD
Umm, how would I make a dual extrusion system printing with a single nozzle (more efficient to use only one than two, increasing build space.)
Did this thread just die already?
yes, it did DIY huehuehue, gl on the machine though :/
@RedSheepMC oh god the puns are real.
Log entry #1: I am designing the mount for the NEMA 17 mmotors and the triple joint for the bottom. This will be fitting the OpenBeam rails and may require the rails to be even shorter than anticipated.

Leg entry #2: I have decided to switch from using 1515 rails (openbeam) to a 2020 rail which can be supplied from motendis (no advertising intended, and I recommend using other 2020 suppliers since motendis has a min shipping of 30€)

This helps out with a lot of problems, one being that I couldn’t find proper printed parts for the kossel if I was using openbeams, however since the 2020 aluminium extrusions are lots more common, the printed parts for those are easy to find.

Modelling update: the Sketchup model of the Hexaflow printer is near completion, the only thing left to do is the end effector.

Parts update: Last part that I am not so sure about is the diagonal rods and rod ends, which are going to be rather costly. The build will be around an estimated 500€ give or take.

Changing frame structure for better durablity.

WOO, just realised how broke I am. budget lowered to 400 euros

P.S: ==updated thread==

Costs have been UPDATAED :D
Ordering parts: Frame, printed parts, rod ends, extruders, stepper motors, belt, control board, and hotend.
comments for notifs