Sensor Activated Panning Camera

Off topicElectronics → Sensor Activated Panning Camera

SHOWCASE

So basically, I have a forensics class, and we have this big project coming up where we have to research various forensic categories and other stuff

I chose security cameras and motion detectors

Plan: Have 3 infrared sensors on a base, with a small Adafruit Trinket or some other cheap equivalent thats tiny and replaceable in case I screw up When the infrared sensors sense that there is a person within, say, 5 feet, it will send a signal to the arduino and to a 180 servo, which will turn to either 45, 90, or 135 degrees based on which sensor was triggered

In this sense, it will track you if you walk back and forth, and with the camera on top of servo being rotated, it will record what you are doing (yes, it will stalk you :)

What’s probably going to happen: I’m going to procrasinate for way too long and I won’t get anything done

Other info: According to this arduino coder I met at my school, the infrared sensor part will be the hardest, however, I do have code for these little anti collision electric cars from last year, which use infrared, and I’ll take a look at that and see whether I want to do something easier :P

I don’t have the camera charging cord, so I have to order a new one (The camera is a Nikon Coolpix something, I’ll see what it is when I get home)

Estimated cost: $2 for each sensor (sale :http://www.lightinthebox.com/pyroelectric-infrared-pir-motion-sensor-detector-module_p903342.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=84187023794&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o4&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_301578074_21687104834_pla-214570461434&gclid=CjwKEAjw7svABRCi_KPzoPr53QoSJAABSvxfeUn8v5fFS7K1z59e159MErIvGZpAGc3PtfczwHqSkRoCxTrw_wcB&scrlybrkr)

Teensy LC-(https://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/teensy-lc) or Adafruit Trinket (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1501) The electronics teacher told me there are also very cheap micro boards, I’ll see what those are, then I’ll update this post

180 servo (https://www.hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tgy-180d-180-degree-digital-servo-2-2kg-0-10sec-12g.html)

Wood or plastic box to cut down and shape for a stand for the camera, might use the 3d printer to print the stand

Any suggestions for cheaper materials will be gladly accepted! -c3l

Perhaps an arduino nano clone might be even cheaper than a Adafruit trinket. A source would be eBay.
Also 2$ for a or sensor? I could get 5 for about 3$ on eBay as well…
Or you could also use a ultrasonic sensor instead of ir, since it litteraly detects motion. A pro to this would be because these simple ultrasonic sensors are rather easy to code since there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.
As for the servo, I can’t argue with that.

Lel, thanks fully, I’ll look into the sensors, although, I already have the code for the infrared sensors from last year, either way, I’ll see what the electronics teacher has to offer

Btw, the camera is a nikon coolpix s3400

UPDATE!! Taking apart some motion activated night lights to steal the PIR sensors, still awaiting charging cord to see if I want the camera to have 4 recording or 3 recording spots

Also, I’ve decided on using a 360 servo for a full on twisty experience, now I will see if I shot myself in the foot :P

Camera Cord coming in Wednesday, I can bring it to school Thursday and finally actually start my project :DD
rip my camera died
Get a bare atm328 or similar, 1,40€ ish, programmable with arduino software. 8MHz internal clock. Can do everything you need. Get proper pir sensors, they have a hi/lo state so the code is easy. Might need an opamp or analog inputs if they act on 3.3V level.

The nightlights come with transformers, so I think I’ll just steal those, what I’m afraid of with boards that don’t have pre made pins is tha I’m going to burn the board cuz I’m clumsy and all and mortally afraid of being burned

Btw, I ordered a new $33 go pro style action camera, hopefully it works, if not, I’ll just use my phone, because I am tired of not working cameras :o

Btw @FullyStealth, I think the ultrasonic sensors require a shield, unless I’m mistaking that for infrared
To burn pins you gotta put a LOT of heat on there. How would you even do that. Sure, things don’t like being heated up for more than 5-10s but unless you stab them with the iron for two minutes straight not much will happen…
I mean soldering pins to the board, or soldering wires directly to the board, I’m afraid I’m going to accidently burn the microprocessor or more likely, myself xD

You can’t burn the IC. As I said, you gotta stab it for a few minutes or something. It won’t get damaged. In case you worry:

For professional soldering, the heat application is supposed to be 2-5s. For hand soldering, the heat application time may be up to 10s.

The solderpoints are supposed to have a degree of around 15-30 degrees for professional applications, when hand soldering it is allowed to have up to 50 degrees. To improve the joint, you can drag solder over the pins, reducing the angle of the joint to the desired value.

If you are using pdip packages you can use sockets - you can then just plug in the IC after soldering in the socket.

When using smd packages, use a heatgun. If you have one, use a preheater to heat the board before using the heatgun, it will reduce the stress on the chip. If you don’t have one, you will have to use a little higher temperature and a longer application time. It should however be done within 20-30s, but if you take a little longer it won’t hurt anyone.

this sounds dope!!!
What camera do you have
Breaking an IC requires a butane torch and 10 minutes so good luck burning that with a pathetic soldering iron xD
I’ll be back when all my fingers have been burned! :D
Ok, update, in short, it failed :(