Portable IDEs

Off topicProgramming → Portable IDEs

I currently am sticking to using Sublime Text 3 for programming python, the only language I can actually do things in, however it was a rather weird setup to get it running portably. Otherwise this also makes a decent platform for C and C++ programming.

For other programming languages, I used Atom Portable, because the atom-html-preview is just awesome compared to the best ST3 could possibly do with it. Atom supports a crapload of languages, however not very good in the STDIN part of it. I am gonna use atom for JS and Java once I move into that direction. I also favour the interface of Atom over ST3.

However I haven’t tried nano or emacs yet.

I use Atom. Get rekt.
I use emacs. Get rekt.

Lol nano. Anyways, here’s a quick look at nano and emacs - I’ll be using a small echo snippet written in c to demonstrate how it looks:

Nano is a really simple, lightweight, quick ‘n dirty editor that basically allows you to edit files. Duh. What else would it do ._.

img

Then there’s emacs. A 408MB shell based text editor. Sounds great, eh? Well it is indeed. Comes with syntax highlighting for various languages, a simple auto-formatter - but if you don’t know the keycombos then you’re fucked.

img

If you need any more on this, just ask me :P

Okay, then I’ll try loading emacs onto my USB and lets see how it turns out :D

3 IDE’s on one goddamn usb…

“Lol nano” recommends emacs

How could you Pepich

How do you enable nano syntax highlighting then? ._.
@Bob_Dinkleburg your*

Whats not portable when you have a Linux distro installed on your USB stick :P

anyways, nano lol, emacs vim is better!

proceeds to use Kate whenever possible… come on it has syntax highlighting for a LOT of languages

Emacs has that too. Kate is fine, I’m using that in uni