Caps/spam filter

ArchivesFeature requests → Caps/spam filter

DUPLICATE

I don’t feel like this argument is over. I have more points to make.

Although I do agree that the spam/caps thresholds would have to have higher thresholds to avoid false positives, there is a lot of positives to come from spam/caps filters even with high thresholds. First off, I don’t think that anyone will count the amount of letters they can do if they want to caps, because that would take too much effort. Instead they will think “There’s a caps filter here now, I better not caps in case I get punished”. It would also help to make the amount of caps required classified so that people don’t know how many caps they can do, and will be even more fearful to caps. Also,having a spam/caps filter even with high thresholds is better than having nothing, because when the time comes and someone spams loads of messages in a short time, then they will be appropriately punished.

Closed by pep (13.11.2016 18:56 UTC)

As you said, an algorithm that works correctly is hard to make, but I’m assuming that a filter with high threshold is not hard to make( correct if I’m wrong), so if it’s not hard to make then why would we NOT implement it?
Okay how about this: If pep’s mod that warns him about it is correct over 99% of the time, then I +0.5 this.

@Bob_Dinkleburg

We’ve been proved otherwise.

The whole point of this filter is to ban people when staff are not on, and it almost certainly will stop some people from capsing as much as they would without a filter. I don’t see what the problem is with this, it won’t do any harm if you put the thresholds high enough, all you’ll get is people that go over the thresholds being banned/kicked…

open source

Not everyone understands the code…

More staff ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The whole point of this filter is to ban people when staff are not on, and it almost certainly will stop some people from capsing as much as they would without a filter. I don’t see what the problem is with this, it won’t do any harm if you put the thresholds high enough, all you’ll get is people that go over the thresholds being banned…

I don’t like the idea that false positives could happen, when no mods are on to fix it.

Not everyone understands the code…

It’s not that hard, and if you don’t, then you can always ask your nerd friend.

@minenash the whole point of high thresholds is to stop false positives from happening.
No. ‘Nuff said. This has been denied way too many times already. As long as you can’t come up with a solution that will never generate a false positive, nothing is going to happen. If you do have that solution, make a PR already. If you don’t, shut up.
==Archive== please
@minenash I do not like the idea of instantly moving it because maybe someone has something additional to say. Therefor, mark it with a utc timestamp when you close it and three days after move it to the archives :)