1.11 Chat length

RedstonerCommunity vote → 1.11 Chat length

CLOSED

With the 1.11 release, there will be a plugin that will regulate message length for different ranks, since with the update comes 155 extra characters in chat messages. This also means 155 extra characters with which to spam. It has been difficult to come to a decision about the lengths, so the staff is asking the community for input.

The most current idea is:

Visitor: 100 chars Member: 200 chars Builder+: 255 chars

Thank you in advance for any input you give.

~Redstoner Staff~

Good idea. Visitor should be about 50-75 though, since there will be that random fitmc fan. And plus, it’s easy to sign up

2 problems @Nyxis :

1. It seems inhospitable to remove chat length that visitors could have had before the update.

2. This may be a deterrent from playing on the server.

@Nyxis I said nobody should be limited to anything lower than what the chat limit previously was, because you can’t judge an entire group based on the outliers. Most visitors are just people who found this server and want to check it out.
I like the idea even though I’m not even remotely active on the server or within it’s community. So I guess a +1

The most current idea is: Visitor: 100 chars Member: 200 chars Builder+: 255 chars

+1

I said nobody should be limited to anything lower than what the chat limit previously was,

I mean I don’t see your phantom reply which contains this information so

This may be a deterrent from playing on the server.

Or another reason to #SIGN UP AT REDSTONER.COM NOWWWWWWWW FOR YOUR FREE INFINITE TRIAL OF MEMBERSHIP FOR A LOW COST OF NOTHING! THAT’S RIGHT FOLKS, ABSOLUTELY JACK SHIT!

Visitor: 80 chars Member: 120 chars Builder+: 200 chars Mod+: 255 chars

that’s my suggestion. if so +1

Even if visitors sign up, they do have to stay in the server for a week. And in that week, they will constantly have to deal with that limitation. First, when they realize that they can’t talk with even 100 chars, they will be confused as to why that is occurring. Also, as I said, it will be a major turn-off for visitors to stay on the server for a whole week.
And @AnotherSheep, your idea would mean that only Staff would have the full 255 characters. Therefore, if players don’t want to be staff or don’t have the time, they will never get that extra chat length.
@AnotherSheep terrible.
Yeah, Nyx is right. Most of us agree that we should never lower the limit below its 1.10- defaults.

Yeah, Nyx is right.

Jees, I wonder how painful that must’ve been to type that

Well, turns out we will not be limiting chat after all. We will just deal with the spam for the first few weeks, and then hopefully things will go back to normal.

~Redstoner Staff~

I know this is closed, but if it is ever going to happen because of spam and stuff, then I would agree with the original post, maybe a bit more for visitors, because it is very limiting. I think that’s the best sugggestion. But the best solution is to not need to limit chat in the first place.

Don’t kill me for posting on a closed thread, I think I added something to this post