Better way of managing foreign language peoples.

RedstonerCommunity vote → Better way of managing foreign language peoples.

There needs to be a better way of managing foreign language-only speaking people; such as French, Chinese, and other languages that are not welcome in main chat.

I was thinking there should be an answerbot that detects chinese characters/french characters (which can be only for visitors and members) which state (in their language) to speak english in main chat only.

I put this in Community Vote because I felt this is a big enough of an issue which plagues this server almost on a daily basis. I feel that the community can pitch in ideas on how to combat this issue.

Just this morning, a player was temporarily banned for speaking chinese in main chat, when all he wanted was a simple block swapper.

Thanks @N7_. I strongly believe that something of this kind is needed. It’s always sad to see staff members playing the trigger-happy role even though they don’t intend to do so.

How about reviving this ? The reason for closing it wasn’t okay in my opinion.

I like nyx’s original idea

Yeah, this way builder+ can language all they want and have no excuse, because they already have a website account :)

Edit: Also, I just noticed a flaw; Japanese uses characters from both the korean and chinese languages. Any suggestions?

Maybe return an answerbot message in both possible languages. Like if a Chinese character is detected, display both the Chinese and Japanese messages.

Or… we could guess

Say for example ë

That’s used in lots of european languages

But how about only the most popular…

Also, most of the users who are foreign are generally French or Chinese so that might be a short term solution

The foreign users that don’t speak English are almost always French or Chinese, so we don’t need to worry too much about other languages. However, there is more than one form of Chinese.

What about when someone uses non-english characters to spell an English word phonetically, such as güd? It would get sort of annoying.

There should be a certain number or non-english characters in a message before the warning appears.

@PyjamaL1ama As a Chinese speaker, I cannot say this is ckmpletely true :p

Most online users use simplified, I haven’t seen on who uses traditional

But if you mean the dialects… that’s only for speaking.

And @YummyRedstone therefore we have it only for builder+ to bypass the language filter

Yeah, something like this is needed!

In most cases, the only warning they have is “English in chat, thanks” but, if they don’t know english at all, it results almost useless, because they won’t understand it. xD

I usually try to be helpful in these cases but actually I can only help Italian people, as an Italian person

Also, I think that a server that manages foreign language people can grow up much easily, and since this is my favourite server, I’d like that a lot!

@N7_ Yeah I don’t know much about what’s more widely spoken or anything, so thanks. As for dialects, no of course not, almost every language has those.
We can just get them in a conversation where they have to select their language before a message is displayed to tell them English is the only language we tolerate in main chat.
even though this is a problem it can be easily fixed. we just need to think outside of the box. if there was any way to detect what language the person was using in their Minecraft client, we could then try to send a message with the language they are using in the Minecraft client. I don’t think that’s possible but I could be wrong just another idea to make the server better. if it is we should go with that instead of guessing or making them select their language in chat like dico said. and this idea would work most of the time because most people play with the language they know.
I feel like you had an awesome idea @cookiefive

We can detect someone’s country from their IP. Maybe we could send them a message in their language if the country doesn’t speak english telling them that the server is solely English-speaking.

EDIT: I just realized that Logal said the same thing, sorry about that :P

yummy if we detect their language from their IP that wouldn’t be that good as people don’t use the language of their country 100% of the time

that problem could be fixed by checking the client and the IP. if the IP and client dont match they can send each what they think

if they both agree they send 1 message as that language

If they don’t understand it, it isn’t a big deal. They’ll just speak English anyways
@cookiefive nice rephrasing of what the original post idea was
@nyx “even though this is a problem it can be easily fixed. we just need to think outside of the box. if there was any way to detect what language the person was using in their Minecraft client, we could then try to send a message with the language they are using in the Minecraft client. I don’t think that’s possible but I could be wrong just another idea to make the server better. if it is we should go with that instead of guessing or making them select their language in chat like dico said. and this idea would work most of the time because most people play with the language they know.” I dont think you ever when that deep

How didn’t I see this before

+1

Probably not important, but @Nyxis i know a few people who use traditional cough

@IqUiKDrop i think you missed something.

i was implying your message right before mine, if not i would have replied earlier.

but I did have an idea other then your nyx :D and should I +1 and again HOW TF has this not been closed/accepted
I don’t know. Maybe it’s because we don’t have a fucking decision yet.
ooooooo the beef’s starting :grabs popcorn:
yummy pls no beef and nyx I already had the popcorn
If it doesn’t happen, then people who know English and their language can help newly joined people who doesn’t understand English, for example: Me, as Czech person, will help Czech people. Brubri will help Italian people, etc. But I think it will not happen that often.
Could Logal add a translator bot that works like Google Translate? it would help BUT not that… much…