More uses of the banner

ArchivesWebsite feature requests → More uses of the banner

CLOSED

You know that banner that shows up at the top saying

I was thinking, what if that banner was used for multiple purposes?

For example, upon signing up, a member could be prompted to read the rules. Another example might be: “The server is down for updating on 1970-01-01 01:00 UTC!”

I mean @Logal you rarely see this tool, and it takes one click/an-amount-of-time-I-haven’t-been-bothered-to-time to make it disappear
Your example of maintenance warnings is invalid, as the website doesn’t have to be taken down to update or edit. Personally I don’t see any other example of its usefulness. Give me some and I’ll +1
You missed the point of that one. That along with “the servers down” would help refrain people asking if the server is down, or is it just them. So don’t even have to be logged in to see if.
I mean sure, but I don’t think many people would see it, as it disappears so quickly. I may put something up in that area for that use, but not necessarily as a banner.
How about make the banner last longer
Right you definitely want your “Updated user!” message to last for 10 or 15 seconds.

Oh wow a this thread’s popping

Also I was thinking something along the lines of a permanent version of the current banner but with the same dismissable abilities as regular banners.

And yes, I meant what nash said; when the “production” server is down, people would easily know :p