Should age not be a deciding factor in a staff position?

RedstonerOther → Should age not be a deciding factor in a staff position?

CLOSED

Currently, one must be of fourteen years or old to hold a staff position. I am eligible (I don’t plan on applying, you’re welcome), and I thought that if I did apply, I would be mistaken for an eleven-year old due to my voice. Maybe I really wanted to be a staff member, but the only reason why I was not able to be accepted was because of my voice. Perhaps maturity that one has shown in-game extensively should replace the factor of age. It is very much possible that there is a twelve-year old out there that is far more mature than the average sixteen-year old staff member on this server. If we do not include such people (LOL I’m not in that group), then it would be a waste of human resources, and could also cause minor grief for those denied purely out of age.

What are your opinions?

-1 Age is a pretty good sign of maturity; People who are younger generally do not have the capacity of maturity^(Like Leauleau, who boasts of being a teen when he doesn’t know what puberty is.) People who are older, like IonWolfHelm, are easily far more experienced in this term. They are older, have gone through more in life, and some, like ion, but not everyone, have pased the age of being a minor.

Also there is little to no reason to check out staff application process without actually wanting to be staff… It doesn’t really work like that.

Yes, I think I know what you mean.

I’m turning 17 on June 6th, Though most people guessing my age on TS would guess 12, or 13…

I think Nyx, Smash, and Burger know this…

Firstly, voice is not definitive proof of age (I should know, I sound 11 too). And we don’t even require any proof, you could be 20 and not mature enough. I mean, look at Trump.

Secondly, age has a direct correlation to maturity in the vast majority of cases, which is why we include it on the list. However, we are not against accepting a staff applicant just because of their age. If they meet all the other requirements, they will most likely be given an interview. That’s what we have the MIT rank for, after all.

So yes, age is an important factor but it is not the end of the world if you’re a little under the age requirement (even though 14 is relatively young) as you could still be accepted onto the team.

Closed.

First mistake you made: Voice != age. How do you know that the voice of someone is the deciding factor, and not their behavior?

Also, let’s look at some statistics:

Your average ten years old person applies for mod because of the perms it brings with it and because it’s cool. Not because they want to help. They’ll fail horribly in the mod position or the interview, which is a waste of human resources (the entire staff team has to spend time on them)

The average sixteen years old person applies for mod because they want to help. They usually bring knowledge of what it means to be a mod and of the plugins.

So let’s assume that out of all ten years old kids there’s maybe 2% that would actually qualify. The average interview takes an hour plus each staff member reading and discussing the application. If we do the maths, that’s me sitting on ts for 50h to get one staff member. At 7h/week average, they need to be staff for 7+ weeks and do a perfect job for my time to have been worth it - else it’d have been better if I just did mod jobs myself.

Also let’s assume that out of all sixteen years old kids there’s 75% that actually qualify. That means I need to spend an average of 1h 20m to find someone that qualifies. At 7h/week, they can do 3w of complete utter bullshit where I have to be online and then do their job properly for the remaining 4 weeks (I just took the 7 weeks from the other bit as reference) to still have a positive total outcome.

So, taking that math into consideration, what’s the worse waste of human resources? Missing out on one person because they need to wait a week before they apply, or wasting 50h to find a proper person that I could spend coding for the server, moderating, etc…?

Oh, no, Pep. Not like this thread was already closed, after I had responded politely and non-passive-aggressively.
If you looked at the times you would realise that I couldn’t see your reply while I was typing mine - it simply didn’t exist yet ;)
I often refresh before posting, guess it’s just me.