Discord server [Solved a year later]

ArchivesFeature requests → Discord server [Solved a year later]

SOLVED

Why should we create a Discord?

Discord is a voice and typing chat, it’s free, unlike TS.

Teamspeak takes too much ram and connection, and not everyone had a good internet (like me) or good computer.

Discord is also much easier to use.

O shit… Here comes the storm…
I told you earlier today that we have slack that can do (almost) all the things that discord can do :P
waits for Pepe’s reply
intense waiting continues^(also don’t we have an unofficial one anyway?)
waits Also like what they said slack is good enough. Tell me a reason it isn’t, and for the “good internet” thing we have a couple low bandwidth channels. A reason we don’t use discord, is most of the staff disagree with the ToS. (Pep’s reply will explain it more)
suspense hightens with the introduction of music as we still wait

An extension to what I said, while I also disagree with the ToS, I’m willing to make an unofficial one with Doom, if enough people want it. I say at least 20 people.

MintyEdit: TS3 is free to host and to connect (on PC).

We’ve had this argument before. Of course an unofficial Redstoner Discord is fine to make, but an official one won’t be happening. Also, you’re lucky I got here before Pepe.

First thing: This is posted in the wrong subforum. It’s not a feature request but more of a community vote.

Second thing:

Discord is a voice and typing chat, it’s free, unlike TS. As Logal has already pointed out, TeamSpeak 3 is free as long as you’re using it in a NP (non-profit) environment. As “redstoner” resembles a NP-Organisation (I can happily prove this to everyone requesting proof of it by providing the corresponding bills and donations, giving a negative total according to PotatoKek), TeamSpeak 3 will come with a free license. TeamSpeak 3 will only cost money if you are not a NP-Organization OR if you don’t host the TeamSpeak 3 server environment yourself but RENT it. The term “rent” includes that you would have to pay for it.

Third thing:

According to their previous ToS, the company “Hammer and Chisel” reserved unlimited rights to not only your data but also the rights to your data. This evidentely allowed them to not only share your data with others, but to re-sell the unlimited rights attached to the data. They claimed that they would never make use of that clause however for three years, they did not change it simply because “there was no time to fix it yet, we simply copied the ToS of an old game of ours” (Cited from a reddit thread that was apparently either modified or removed as I can’t find it anymore)

They have by now implemented a new set of ToS, trying to fix one of the biggest issues as shown here:

By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content ==in connection with operating and providing the Service==.

The highlighted sentence is what they have changed, however they are still hiding those terms away really good and when you try to access their ToS you will first be linked to the old, outdated set for some reason.

What the new sentence there adds to the ToS is an apparent security that they won’t sell your data to e.g. advertisers, however if you think about it in a legal case the following interpretation of the sentence is perfectly fine:

Selling user data is, even if not exclusively specified by the ToS, possible as it is implied as a necessarity to provide the service. Providing the servers used for sharing the data is costing money due to hardware, electricity and internet connections which has to be generated as an income in a different place - which means that the income generated by selling your data to (e.g.) and advertiser was a necessarity to ==operating and proving the Service.==

The Privacy Policy they have has been rendered entirely invalid as it no longer gets mentioned within the ToS, removing any legal effects.

Basically, you’ll have to trust that they won’t sell your data based on a reddit post made a few years ago that by now was deleted. Apart from that, they have no privacy policy (well they have one, but as shown above it is legally of no impact) preventing them from (ab)using your data in any way they could possibly think of. And I personall do not trust a company that takes multiple years to modify their ToS trying to fix a simple problem, but instead of actually fixing it they just make it look nicer, effectively changing nothing, even making it worse by excluding their Privacy Policy from the ToS so that they are no longer bound to it.

If you want to use their service, go ahead. However I will stricly punish advertisement of an inofficial “redstoner discord” server as I would do with any other advertisement and I would like you to spread awareness of this issue as a lot of people simply ignore or do not know about their ToS. “I have read an… YES FFS WHERE’S THE BUTTON I WANNA CLICK THAT READING IS FOR NOOBS” - please be aware that you are signing a legally binding contract and/or agreement by clicking those buttons.

Teamspeak takes too much ram and connection, and not everyone had a good internet (like me) or good computer.

Our TeamSpeak 3 Server provides you with a set of LQ/MQ/HQ/UHQ settings, providing a broad range of choices for all types of internet connections. The TeamSpeak 3 Client comes with a minimal impact in terms of CPU and RAM as the encoding used (OPUS) is a modern standard encoding for VoIP communication (and is the same as Discord uses btw) - as long as you do not blow up your client with plugins such as overwolf (an ingame overlay) or other stuff that obviously requires more and more resources as the amount of plugins and their complexity increases.

RAM requirements of the TeamSpeak 3 client are minimal, using up 173MB with the soundboard plugin installed and enabled, I am not sure about the impact of that. Looking at a simple browser like firefox using up 921MB at the same time, this is neglectible. My core graphic driver uses more memory than TeamSpeak (202MB): https://puu.sh/vX5kM/baa57a2167.png (not embedded due to the size of this reply)

Discord is also much easier to use.

Double click to join a channel. Done. I don’t see how “Discord” can be “much easier to use” than having to literally double left click on whatever channel you want to join.

Additionally we are providing an official Redstoner slack team that you can use for offline messages as well as (once again) VoIP communication, sharing of websites and images in an embedded format, creating custom private groups and so on.

Disclaimer: Nothing of what I have stated above is guaranteed to be of any (legal) correctness. I do however ensure that what I have said above was stated with best intents and as of my best knowledge of the (legal) matter. I am not to be held liable if any of what I have said becomes part of a legal case.

Response with 0 relevance to this ‘debate’

Discord has a dark mode, where as Slack does not, therefore your argument is invalid

Doom does make a good point…