Weirder Math

Off topicOther → Weirder Math

CHALLENGE

Two different challenges:

####Challenge 1 Solve -*/15 - 7 + 1 1 3 + 2 + 1 1.

####Challenge 2 Explain how the following is possible, with using already known functions (aka don’t make anything up):

5 + 5 = A
5 + 6 = 11
5 - 5 = Undefined

Challenge 2 is simple

+: f(x,y): { A if x=y=5, 11 if x=5 and y=6, Undefined else -: g(x,y): { Undefined

But #2 isn’t using any functions.

==+== is a function ==-== is a function

Apart from that you didn‘t specify that I wasn‘t allowed to turn + and - into functions if they weren‘t yet. Go plug in the values and check if the results are correct :3

Minenash, I don’t know how you’ve been taught maths but your challenge 1 doesn’t mean anything for me: it’s not even an equation and there’s too little text for it to be an actual problem :/

If it’s some programming stuff that I can’t read, then alright, but since there’s “math” in the thread title, people would assume that the language used here is the language of mathemactics.

When I read it, it’s like: Solve: 12345 + - hi there my name is Jeff * / (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 1917 ♫♪ It doesn’t make any sense x')

It is an equation through. Just because the notation is different, doesn’t make it not an equation. (Technical it’s an expression, but whatever.) Another notation that is based on this one can be found on calculators, esspially really old ones. (My father owns a fairly new one.)

@Pepich1851, fixed the prompt.

ALright, so, can you please express the problem in a more conventional way ? x') (in a way that clearly shows what are the variables and what conditions the variables should fulfill, you know, with a = thing or just with more text) Also, if you’re using some unusual operation, concept or notation, can you please define them ?

x = -*/15 - 7 + 1 1 3 + 2 + 1 1 Solve for x.

For #2 nothing is a variable, everything is a number.

What is -*/ xD sorry for bothering you so much x')
The subtraction (-) operation, the multiplication (*) operation, and the division (/) operation.
with nothing inbetween ? that’s quite unusual x') So i guess -*/15 is just the same as -1/15 right xd
Nope, just -*/15 isn’t solvable. Sorry for late reply, just got the email.
Ugh I still don’t get what the -*/ is supposed to mean. They’re operations, but operating on nothing ???
They operate on things. Maybe try doing the right side first.
That would be x = -*/15 + 119 What’s next ? I don’t know

Challenge 2:

Operate on ℕ^(+) Define in ℕ^(+): 10 = A Solve with known operators:

5 + 5 = A 5 + 6 = 11 5 - 5 = N/A

How’d you get 119?

@Pepich1851, fair. Although 1) what’s 10*10 then, if your correct, then fine. 2) Tell me the name of the system the basically does that.

Assuming that the given definition is propagating and we ignore how to maths, you should count 98, 99, ==9A==, A1

And the only system I can think of that‘d rather label something ninetyten instead of 100 is french counting. So I‘m gonna label it maths du croissant

Just realised that real 101 would be A1 aka tentyone lul

I’m assuming that the spaces between the numbers in Challenge 1 is important. Otherwise you would write the 15 as 1 5.

@Pepich1851, your counting is correct. However I don’t believe the French write there numbers like this.

@Shroomyjoe Correct

No, french write it like 4*20+1*10+1*3, which is the closes you can get to 1*90+1*10

119 comes from -7 + 113 + 11 + 2 I don’t know what to do with the -*/15 since it makes no sense for me to concatenate operation symbols like this :/

And well Pep, a number like 93 is pronounced like 4*20+13 in French, but the mental concept associated with 93 is 3*10^0 + 9*10^1 like in most languages, and young pupils are taught to think of numbers with irregular prononciation this way c:

Tuong, you should look at shroomyjoe’s reply.
Alright then that would be x = -*/15 - 1 if blank spaces are for multiplications i guess ? xd Anyway there’s still the mysterious -*/ thing
If you do the right part correctly, then you won’t even have to deal with it
What does 1 2 3 + 4 5 6 mean with your rules ?
Nothing, as that’s “not balenced”. However so you get what to do; if I did the operator and just ignored all the other numbers then I would get 1 2 3 9 6, even though that isn’t a valid … well anything.
so something like + 1 2 would be 3 right ?
Challenge 1 just looks like it’s function notation sans brackets, in which case it evaluates to 5.
Never herd it called that, but you’re right
Do you do functional programming by any chance?