Need a human to verify this is all compatible

Off topicElectronics → Need a human to verify this is all compatible

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/76zRf8 This is going to be the build I buy, just don’t trust pcpartpicker so much, just paranoid. Can you guys just double check for me to make sure this will preform well? Thanks

Compatible, yes, interesting choice of hardware, also yes.

1. why the case? (It’s not a bad case, but its quite big, and a standard mid tower, nzxt source 340, corsair spec or carbide, etc would cost less)

2. if you’re overclocking (which you will), hyper 212 or a tower cooler is recommended

3. gtx 1070s are overpriced rn, by a lot. Get a used 980ti off eBay for $300-400 and you’ll be good to go.

4. if you do get a 980ti, get a 650+ watt psu

5. the motherboard is also overpriced, $80 can get you a msi b350 that will perform similarly

6. ssd prices are down right now, take advantage of them, get either two 240gb ssds or a 500 gb (basically get as much as you can, eliminate the need for large volume hard drives, plus you can run in raid 0 if you get two :)

7. I notice a lack of rgb (don’t kill meh pls)

I also have a few questions about the build.

1. Why did you go with 16GB of DDR4? Unless you’re doing something like video editing or something, I think you could save some money and go with two 4GB sticks of DDR4.
  2. A 120GB SSD seems kind of small. I’m not sure how much space you will be using, but if you have a fairly large games library I’d assume you’d want a drive that’s larger (maybe 480GB?) or you could invest 50 dollars into something like a 1TB Seagate HDD.
  3. The PSU seems kind of overkill. I plugged all the parts into the Coolermaster PSU calculator (minus any peripherals) and it recommended a 400W PSU. Don’t know exactly why you wanted the 550W PSU, but if you’re going to overclock, go ahead. If you go with C2L’s suggestion and use a 980ti, you should get a 600W PSU probably.
  4. I don’t see a cooler anywhere on that part list. I’m assuming you’re going to overclock due to your overkill PSU (and I think that motherboard supports overclocking, might want to do some research on that.) In this cage, or anyways, you might want to get an AIO like the MasterLiquid 240. You can get one for about 60 USD, which may be a bit above the price of some air coolers, but at the same time, it isn’t that much more and you’ll get much better performance out of it.
A bit off topic but holy shit RAM prices are insane these days. What you could do is get 8 GB RAM now, and hope the price drops overtime and then upgrade to 16? I don’t know if RAM prices are still rising. . .

C2l: Thanks for all the tips dude. I’m not an rgb guy though. No plans to overclock either. The case is freaking beautiful, my friend has one and it’s amazing. Mobo has built in wifi and bt which is great, so I’m sticking with it. Video card is still in the air, I’ve made my first purchases last night, plan on buying the gfx card last because the PC will work without it in the beginning.

Xav: I edit all the time, that’s the reason I’m buying this pc lol. I don’t game often or at all really. The psu is locked in at 550 because I have ideas of a better gfx card.

Cookie: DAMN RIGHT MAN LIKE 300$ FOR 16gbbbbbb

why would you buy ryzen and a b350 mobo without overclocking it??!?!!?

If yout didnt want to overclock, you shouldnt had gone with ryzen, but i7-8700 or i5-8400.

PLEASE OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU PLEASE PLEASE

hyper 212s are only $20-30, and youll get great airflow with a huge case like that

explanation: the whole point of ryzen was that they could deliver similar performance to the kaby lake cpus at cheaper prices, even with coffee lake, ryzen cpus can remain competitive by overclocking, which is allowed on all ryzen cpus. Take advantage of the extra performance you can get and dont let the extra money you spent on a case and mobo like that go to waste

note2: get two ssds and run in RAID for read speed gains, two hard drives also work, but ssds are so cheap right now, just get two 500gb ssds

also, this is @C2Lunatic, im just on my old account temporarily, yay?

Fine, I’ll give OC a try. Running low on cash currently, will OC when I get a dedicated CPU fan (anything other than stock) RAID0 I will never try again. Lost a lot of data recently. Im sticking with the 120gb ssd because I have three 500gb drives in RAID5 giving me 1tb storage.

EDIT: The hyper evo cooler was the one I was looking at, but long story, I know someone who has this case and his water cooling broke so he needed a cheap an, he went with the hyper ego and it was too long the side panel would not fit on

@Aberdeener I have a cryorig m9i, but you can get the cryorig m9a, and you can go to cryorig’s website and get a free AM4 kit (get kit a) if you show proof of motherboar, cpu, and cpu cooler. It should keep your R7 1700 quite happy and cool, even once you overclock to nearly 4ghz. If you wish to do water cooling, I wouldn’t recommend anything less than h110i from corsair. At that point, it’s better to get the Cryorig and spend more on your graphics card/RAM/games/whatever else.

The Hyper 212 is quite a tall cooler. Always always check dimensions of your case (max supported cooler height should be what you are looking for) before purchasing. The Cryorig should have no problem fitting into your case though because it’s only 124mm, it fits my corsair spec 02 really well and keeps my xeon x3440 at 50-60C after an entire day of heavy cpu usage. My CPU runs a lot hotter than yours will. (95w TDP vs 75w TDP and also older 45nm cpu)

I would really just spring for a larger SSD. That way not only can you put your boot OS on there, but also all your games and whatnot. I only use my hard drive for my music and pictures.

Note: The stock cooler with the r7 1700 (should be wraith spire) should be good for at least light overclocking.

Just ordered SSD like ten minutes ago. I have one in my MacBook right now which I plan on selling that I can throw in when the time comes. I might water cool later on but I do not need it right now. Whats your discord?

that is for me to know…. and you too, be warned I never use it tho

C2Lredstone

shit, im still on this account, oops