Maps show the same image no matter where you are

ArchivesProblems & bugs → Maps show the same image no matter where you are

SOLVED

What I expected Maps would show the terrain that I was in

What actually happened It showed this land area even if i was in a completely different place.

Did you see any sort of error message? No

How can we reproduce this problem? Get a map and right-click it, it should show the land area.

Edit: Solved: it will fix itself when the server updates to 1.13

A map showing the same thing every time? This is a travesty. Because what we really want are maps that change…
Yeah, uh, this is how maps are supposed to work, no? Unless you mean that when you create the map initially it always shows that image regardless of where you are, rather than it not changing with your movements (which it isn’t supposed to do)? @spiderroom
It shows it even if I’m 100000 blocks away from the original spot, I even tested it with other players (the second thing you said)
If you’re saying, that you made a map, then moved to a location, and the map didn’t update while you were moving, then maps are working correctly. Maps are basically a bird’s eye view screenshot of some chunks. Maps can also be placed on walls, making as big of a map as you want.
No, I meant it would show it if I created it somewhere else. I’m not saying it should change if I walk somewhere else.
hes saying the same location is appearing in new maps made somewhere else
Spider showed me the map problem and we figured it out. Every time you make a new map no matter where you are it shows the same map. We hit the limit on map numbers 32767 so we either never get any new maps or we delete some or all of the maps.

Doomblah just confirmed this: The map data value capped at 32767, so it reached the limit. Now, it goes back to the first map ever made (the land area is the original spawn).

Edit: Doom’s reply didn’t show up when I made this, so just ignore

doom Im guessing this could be fixed by using a plugin I guess? (dont quote me on this I just think this would work)
maximum amount of maps? what kinda bullshit is that lmao. i guess the only easy way to fix is to wait until sv reset?
That‘s how MC does it. Resetting the world won‘t cut it, afaik it‘s server wide map IDs. Not sure what to do tbh and got no time to look into it
From what I understand, the limit comes from how mc (at least before 1.13) store item damage values. The limit might either not exist in 1.13 or may be easier to change. But if they still use a short to store the id, then we won’t be able to fix it, without client side mods.

4.294.967.296 is the map limit in 1.13, here is proof:

gif here

The negative map IDs seem to work normally.

Unfortunately, it’ll still be awhile before we can update. While there are stable builds of Spigot available, it’s not safe to upgrade old worlds with it yet.

This is a long standing bug that’s been around for a while, and I’m surprised that it took us this long to hit the map limit.

Anyways, there’s nothing we can do about it, but it should automatically fix itself once we update to 1.13