'Badges' Plugin

ArchivesProblems & bugs → 'Badges' Plugin

CLOSED

Ok, so @PanFritz released this, a page about some plugin updates about damnspam and others. The one thing that caught my eye however, was this statement

Badges were added

Not much information at all here, so I decided to investigate further. Here is what I found:

• Apparently, the moderators did not know about this beforehand. I talked to @Nightshade32 and @Eniallator, and they both confirmed that they did not know what this was until I informed them. This right here is a serious issue.

• There is no information about this on the forums. After looking on the forums, I found there is nothing that mentions the inclusion of a Badges plugin, so with the already limited information from the initial post, there is practically nothing at all to say what this is, at least online. However;

• There is even less information in game. /help bad gave me this ‘/Badge: null. /Badge just tells you if you have any badges.

• According to @Nightshade32, you can’t add badges in-game. How does this make any sense? It seems like to much trouble to go into the server console to give someone a badge.

• @Barrygold21 has a badge for ‘Long time player’. He tells me that he thinks it was a manual promotion. In my opinion, that is also pretty bad. I mean, firstly, what do you get badges for? Obviously there is no information so I can’t tell. Secondly, how do you manage who gets badges, like how do you know how long certain players have been on for, or acquired certain things, or achieved things? I myself have been on the server for a long time, and I don’t see any badge, it would be good if there was a sort of auto promotion in that case.

So in my opinion, it seems like a plugin someone put together lazily, without much care. The fact that there is no information about it what so ever, is also concerning, not to mention that seemingly the moderators didn’t know about a plugin being installed.

Please take all of this into consideration, and I would like to here what others think of the matter.

According to @Nightshade32, you can’t add badges in-game.

@cheetie I believe you are misinterpreting what I mean here. What I mean is it seems that the current badge list is hardcoded. Which means you can’t add new badges to the list of current badges in the game. You can give people badges in game just fine.

Other than that the rest is pretty accurate I think

@Nightshade32 Ah, that makes more sense.

@Redstone_sheep But how were we supposed to know about those commands? It’s not like there’s any information about them

I programmed it and it is actually based on an idea Mother and I came up with: Rewarding people for special stuff without doing an uprank. I told Pan/Sheep about it but we didn’t have a bigger discussion on the redstoner forums since I was retired back then.

‘/badge’ shows your current badges ‘/badge (player)’ shows a player’s badges ‘/badge add (player) (badge e.g. “trustworthy”)’ gives a badge ‘/badge take (player) (badge)’ takes a badge

The current badges are set in the code and are currently not changeable ingame.

Edit: If a staff member rewards you, it says that you can type /badge to see all!

Tbh i wasn’t prepared for pan and sheep releasing redstoner utils that ‘early’ - I might write a forum post about it!

Edit 2: Auto promotions for long time players are not possible due the fact that Minecraft saves the ‘first joins’ in a world’s folder. This makes them basically inaccurate (except for players who joined recently). The only solid way would be a request through our website - if we say a long time player is > 1 year, the website won’t work as well since it is up for around a half year

@Gapbrick ah ok, that clears things up a bit. I do still believe that it is very off that there is next to no information about it besides on this thread, although if you are going to do post on the forums about it, that would be nice. The other thing that is strange is that the other staff did not know about this. The fact that a plugin was released with the majority of staff not knowing is in my opinion quite bad. Oh well.
This thread is locked.